PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Warrior Interview, Part 2

Black Widow
07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Here's the second, and last (I promise), part of my recent interview ith the Ultimate Warrior. You can read the first part here.

In this part, the Warrior discusses getting into "ring shape" for his return, and rumors of him getting involved with TNA or being part of WrestleMania:

Warrior on training for his return alongside RVD:“That was one part of the deal too that was workable, too - the timing of it. I had three months to get ready. So in my head, I know what my self discipline is. I know what I continue to do. Of course, I’ve taken some long hiatuses in the past. The longest one was from 1992 to 1996. I didn’t get back in the ring and get any training before then. I knew I definitely needed to do that this time.

I didn’t really do any training with Rob (Van Dam). I hadn’t met Rob. He lives in California. I live in New Mexico. It was an easy trip over to there. There was a great place to do some training that I wish I had known about before hand. Jesse Hernandez - one of the old WWF referees and one of the old jobber guys, a super great guy – has a place out there at American University in San Bernadino. It’s just an incredible place – just awesome. And he’s got a ring set up. So we got together for a day. And that was my plan – to get together with those guys more often. I did have a ring set up in Barcelona, but it was outside under the pretense that the weather was going to be good. And when we got there, it was only sunny for two days. It rained every other day. So that put a damper on being able to get in the ring, and doing the stuff I needed to do.”

Warrior on getting motivated for his return match:“That’s the thing that drove me the most - the challenge of it. I was inspired by the challenge. I want to be inspired. I’m not inspired by much, or what going on in culture today. And that directly connected to wrestling. I don't watch professional wrestling. I don’t watch it at all. When I say that to people. They don’t believe it. I don’t watch any television hardly at all. I’m not really interested or inspired by any programming. I’ve never watched a television serial show, I’ve never watched an episode of Survivor or Lost or the most popular shows - the Sopranos. Never once. I just don’t. I’d rather read or do something, get out, get in sports, or get active myself. I find a lot that I’m always motivating myself. very rarely am I motivated by other people. So this was an opportunity to do that.”

Warrior on the possibility of a more extended ring return: “Oh, I don’t know. A lot people immediately started talking. All the experts. David Putz-ner started talking that there was a discussions going on (with TNA). There was never a discussion with TNA about anything. There wasn’t any larger plan to try to stir the interest or curiosity of TNA or WWE.

Warrior on rumors of him being involved in WrestleMania XXV:
I was doing some media stuff on the radio and some long time fan of wrestling and WrestleMania (and I)... had an exchange about WrestleMania 25. I was basically saying sarcastically, “Yeah, they’ve used all the other bums up. On a silver anniversary WrestleMania, they need to do something special. So how about something between me and McMahon?" I think the better match would be between me and Shane McMahon. That would inspire me more to do some more serious training. I think Shane is a real go-getter. I think he’s a real inspiring kid.”

Newsday.com