PDA

View Full Version : Vaughan quits captaincy

OMEN
08-03-2008, 07:30 PM
http://img.skysports.com/08/08/218x298/Michael-Vaughan-out-England-v-South-Africa_1077110.jpg
One-day skipper Collingwood follows suit
Michael Vaughan has stepped down as England Test captain following the series defeat by South Africa.

Vaughan scored just 40 runs in three Tests as England lost a home series to the Proteas for the first time since 1965.

The 33-year-old Yorkshire batsman has overseen three series losses against top-class opposition since returning from a career-threatening knee injury.

Paul Collingwood has also stepped down as England one-day captain.

The England selectors will announce the new Test captain and the squad for the fourth Test at the Oval on Monday.

"I've made the decision to stand down as England captain," Vaughan told a press conference broadcast on Sky Sports News.

"It's the hardest decision I've ever had to make but also the easiest. The hardest because I'm giving away the job I've loved for the last five years, one I've put my heart and soul into, but also the easiest because my mind has told me to pack it in.

"I felt if I kept going my career could come to an abrupt end - hopefully, this can prolong my career.
Exciting

"I will carry on playing because I think there are a lot more runs in me.

"This decision will prolong my career. I'm moving better than ever in the field so hopefully this decision will make my last few years a very exciting time."

Vaughan added he does not want to be considered for the final Test of the series but did not rule out a return to the Test arena in the future.

He continued: "I wish I could have given it one more go. I've had five unbelievable years, felt the emotion of all the aspects of the captaincy, but I feel it's the right time to move forward with a new captain, a new direction.

"We've lost three big series and just think it is time for someone else to lead the team in a different direction.

"I really do believe these could be the best years of my playing career and I can go on and score plenty of runs.

"It is a difficult job but a fantastic job but not many people get to do it which is a real privilege. I've loved every minute of it.

Surprise

"I think the decision came as a surprise to the players. Perhaps the one regret is that I didn't say it in front of all the players. I hope they all respect me but I hope they can understand it is the right move for me.

"I just kind of knew that it would be the right time to step down if this series ended in defeat.

"Obviously I am taking a break out of the game and then will come back and play for Yorkshire. This was an instinctive decision that this was the time to move on.

"I have some great memories - leading out my country for the first time and of course everything that happened in 2005 in the Ashes."

Kevin Pietersen is the favourite to be appointed both Test and one-day captain, but other candidates include Andrew Strauss, Robert Key and Alastair Cook.

Sky

Kenpachi Zaraki
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Well England suck neway..................this had 2 happpen..................guess KP staying full time nw