PDA

View Full Version : Punk vs. Cena?

Black Widow
08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
- The Knoxville News Sentinel has a story online promoting tonight's edition of Raw from Knoxville, Tennessee. It is interesting that the article teases a CM Punk vs. John Cena match at SummerSlam for the World Heavyweight Championship.

Read the article below featuring quotes from CM Punk..

Morrow: 'Raw's' top Punk aims for Cena

Watch your back around here, John Cena. World Wrestling Entertainment heavyweight champion CM Punk has a fist with your name on it.

If the two actually have a major face-off here in Big Orange Country, "it would be a hell of a challenge, perhaps the biggest challenge of my career," says CM Punk, part of the main card for WWE's "Raw" (at 9 tonight on the USA Network, live from Thompson-Boling arena).

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound Punk, nee Phillip Brooks of Chicago, is WWE's current heavyweight champ, and Cena is WWE's current poster boy, with a huge fan base and a budding movie career.

Yes, Punk wants a piece of that, all right.

But he doesn't see a belt-on-the-line challenge with Cena happening in Knoxville. He envisions the clash on Summerslam, happening in a couple of weeks on pay-per-view.

Though as these things go, Punk and Cena probably will have words and a small exchange during their Knoxville show. The build-up for pay-per-view won't be wasted in Knoxville.

"I want to take down everybody," says Punk. "I would love to be in the ring with just John Cena come Summerslam in Chicago.

"He polarizes the crowd, but it's my hometown. It would be electric. Anything is up for grabs.

"I'm at the top of the heap, and everybody is gunning for me."

Punk earned his name. "I was one of those smart kids that they forced into those accelerated classes, but I really didn't want to go to school," he said.

Growing up in Chicago, he sported a blue Mohawk and had the attitude to match it. This kept him off the high school football team. He studied martial arts instead.

He wanted to be a professional wrestler. "I used to watch Rowdy Roddy Piper as a kid, and I wanted to be like him," he said.

The 29-year-old bachelor has pretty much reached that goal. He's been part of WWE since 2005.

He's had the title for "a month and a day" as of this past Thursday. "That's about a month longer than some guys have it," he said.

knoxnews.com