PDA

View Full Version : An interview with DDP

Black Widow
08-22-2008, 02:04 PM
It's probably safe to say the biggest come-out-of-nowhere wrestling superstar -- who, at what is considered a late starting age in wrestling, stayed in the business for more than 10 years and made a major impact -- is Diamond Dallas Page. (If you disagree, let me know.)

Now, DDP is heavily involved in yoga -- what he calls YRG.

I found DDP to be a complete class act during my 45-minute phone conversation with him from Sunday. Thank you, DDP. Now, on to the interview:

Q: Tell us about YRG? Why YRG?

A: "It started as me training guys that wouldn't be caught dead doing yoga. I took the best (things) out of yoga. Twenty years ago, guys like you and me didn't eat sushi. Yoga is the next sushi. It's going to take guys like you and me to make it mainstream. In the first three weeks, I noticed a difference in my body. It started with a book I wrote with a buddy of mine. Life is 10 percent of what happens to you and 90 percent of how you react to it. You can own the way you react, how you adapt, how you breathe and how you take action."

Q: Would you say more people over 50 or more people looking to lose 50 or more pounds use YRG?

A: "More people who want to lose 10-15 pounds are using it now. It's geared toward weight loss, but it wasn't developed for weight loss. I developed this to live my dream. Right now, Derrick Brooks is one of the oldest middle linebackers, at 35. He's using it. Kris Benson (Phillies' farm system). The entire Georgia Tech baseball team. Tennessee's football team. The wide array of people doing YRG (is incredible). With my new DVDs, anyone can build to any level."

Q: Many people have bircitus pain in their shoulders, maybe caused from overusage like exercise. Any advice for them?

A: "Change your diet. Change the way you eat. Strengthen your body with YRG and work within your elements. At home, people can work out at their own pace."

Q: Is YRG being used by anyone in MMA? In wrestling (HBK, Samoa Joe, Christian Cage, Randy Orton)?

A: I do know that Shawn Michaels is doing it. Cody Rhodes is in the book. There are a couple of other guys. I'm about to make a huge impact (in MMA)."

Q: Any public appearances planned?

A: "I'm doing a big signing in Philadelphia on Sept. 27. Flair is headlining it. I'm going to wrestle at an independent gig in a six-man match. You'll only see me come in and give the Diamond Cutter on someone."

Q: What was it like working with Rob Zombie in The Devil's Rejects? Any acting roles coming up?

A: "It was cool. He's a very down-to-earth guy. He opened a lot of doors for me. I'm working on a movie now called 'Clowns.' When you rub the skin, it's not paint. It's how they really look. Based in reality. Sort of like the NWO."

Q: Been watching any of the Olympics?

A: "A little bit. That kid (Michael) Phelps is incredible."

Q: What's it mean to start wrestling at 35 and have a 14-year career?

A: "Anything's possible, if you have a vision, if you stay focused, driven, have a work ethic. To do what I did and accomplish what I did, I had the work ethic. You can do it. When Arthur (Boorman, a success story from yrgworkout.com) finally did walk, I said, 'You have to set a new goal now.' He said, 'I'm going to run."

Q: Top wrestling moment?

A: (He has several.) "Becoming the world heavyweight champion. Randy Savage taking the Diamond Cutter at Stampede, because I was told that would never happen. When I first broke in -- when Dusty Rhodes told me I was a lot like him. When Hulk (Hogan) said in '94 that we would do big things together (four years later, he did). Dropping Scott Hall and Nash. The whole NWO thing was great for me."

Q: Any Daytona Beach highlights?

A: Kanyon at a Bash at the Beach relayed a story to DDP about eight guys throwing in five bucks apiece, where the winner would get $40 for Diamond-Cutting someone they saw on the beach. One guy jumped out of the van at one of the beach approaches, went up to a guy from behind in the surf and bashed his head in the sand with a Diamond Cutter. I would have loved to have witnessed that.

Q: Who was easier to work with -- Karl Malone or Jay Leno?

A: "Malone just loved the business -- incredible work ethic. (Jay did great and his best)."

Q: Where's the Diamond Cutter rank among all-time finishing moves?

A: "Stone Cold is Stone Cold. No one is bigger than Hogan (and his finishers). But tell me who has a better finish from different angles that you never saw coming. Watch the people react who are sitting down when (John) Cena hits his finishing maneuver on someone who doesn't mean anything."

Q: I read your online review of WrestleMania 24. Are you still a fan of WWE? Do you watch their shows?

A: "I do watch. I like some of the things they do. Batista is such a nice guy. Quiet and to himself. I like to see his character. Orton, too. I really like to watch Edge. JBL has become one of my favorites to watch. I love watching Regal."

Q: David Arquette as world champion -- good or bad?

A: "That was absurd. It was what it was. People who don't know think I did the job to him (Eric Bischoff did). If they can have K-Fed pin Cena, come on. He (Arquette) didn't want it. He respected the belt. He gave his money."

Q: How did you feel about the Undertaker-Sara stalker gimmick, and what would you have done differently?"

A: "I never would have done that. It was never supposed to be like that. It was stupid planning by me. I should have seen that. If I'm the heel, and he doesn't sell, it doesn't get over. It was a stage in my career. Taker's a great worker. I wish to God he gave me one-third of what he gives Edge."

Q: How happy were you for winning a settlement against Jay-Z over the Diamond Cutter symbol?

A: "The matter has been resolved." (DDP couldn't and/or wouldn't comment further on this).

Q: Name association time

Q: Kevin Nash.

A; "Best friend. One of the nicest guys I've ever met."

Q; Hulk Hogan.

A: "Legend. If it wasn't for Hulk . . ."

Q; Eric Bischoff.

A: "Genius. Wild. I have a lot of respect for him."

Q: Vince McMahon.

A: "Another genius. Driven."

Q: Randy Savage.

A: "Savage. Intense. One of the most intense guys I've ever met. He's a Hall of Famer, whether WWE gives it to him or not."

Q: Goldberg.

A: "I thought he was a phenomenal athlete. He delivered the goods."

Q: Ric Flair.

A: "Still the man, whether you like him or not. You can't take away what he's accomplished."

Q: Sting.

A; "Great guy. Too many morals to go to WWE."

Q: Chris Benoit.

A: "I had a lot of good times with Chris Benoit. We were both babyfaces. They said he would never be a top guy and a main-eventer. They said the same thing about me. I loved working with Chris because he would get it done on the house shows (too). He really loved Nancy -- (but) the brain damage was brutal. It's a shame he'll never be recognized (properly)."

Q: Any final thoughts about YRG?

A: "I think it can change the world. It can change the way people think about yoga. It's going to explode. It's bigger than any machine I've ever worked with. They (his financers) are behind it 200 percent. It's real. It's passionate. I'm the first one to put a heart monitor on a cardiovascular workout. When you get into your 30s, 40s and 50s, you better listen to your body. It's a workout across the board, for any size. It's a mental thing. People want to see instant results. In the first week, you'll see a difference in your posture, the way you move."

news-journalonline.com

3D-Shadow
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Interesting