PDA

View Full Version : Beckham issues warning over Yorke

Dmac
06-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Beckham issues warning over Yorke

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6492/41759792beckham2031iv.jpg

England captain David Beckham has highlighted Trinidad and Tobago's Dwight Yorke as the danger man ahead of Thursday's World Cup game in Nuremberg.

"He's always been a threat to defenders in any game - he's one of the best forwards around," said Beckham, 31, who played with Yorke at Manchester United.

"He's one of the great strikers and has been for many years.

"At United we won the European Cup, the league and the FA Cup - and he was a huge part of that team."

Victory against Trinidad will secure a place in the second round for Sven-Goran Eriksson's side, but Beckham said the team were taking nothing for granted.

Trinidad shocked Sweden on Saturday by holding the Scandinavian side to a 0-0 draw despite playing much of the second half with 10 men.

"We always expected it to be a tight group and we always knew there were going to be tough games," said Beckham.

The Real Madrid star said he expected England striker Michael Owen to "come good" after the Newcastle striker failed to score in Saturday's opening World Cup win against Paraguay.

Owen was replaced by Stewart Downing after 55 minutes, but Beckham insisted there was no problem with fitness.

"He's got his fitness levels back up. Michael will come good, he always does in major tournaments," he said.

The captain believes England's strength in the middle of the park will be key to their progress.

"With Frank Lampard and the way he's been playing at Chelsea, Steven Gerrard and what he's done for Liverpool and having a player like Joe Cole on the left who's not afraid to run at players, we're very lucky with our midfield - it's one of the best in Europe if not the world," Beckham added.

Meanwhile, Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves said he did not have "anything to prove" after being criticised from certain sections of the England support during Saturday's win.

Hargreaves, 25, said he still had confidence in his own ability despite being booed by some of the crowd during when eh came on as a second-half substitute against Paraguay.

"I don't think I have to prove anything. I have achieved a lot in my 25 years, I've won the Champions League title and domestic titles, and played over 40 games in the Champions League," he said.

"In the biggest games I've always played my best games, and the most important thing is belief in yourself and belief from manager.

"I was quite surprised there was criticism at my inclusion in the squad, I would never have expected that to happen.

"Some people tend to have an opinion who don't know me, they don't see me week in and week out."

Credit - BBC Sport