PDA

View Full Version : Comedian Lewis gun charge dropped

JohnCenaFan28
09-23-2008, 01:23 AM
A judge in Las Vegas has dismissed a firearms charge against US comedian Jerry Lewis.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44927000/jpg/_44927447_-31.jpg

The charge against the 82-year-old related to a gun seized from his baggage by security at Las Vegas McCarran International Airport in July.

Police had accused Lewis of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit and the gun was confiscated.

The judge dropped the charge after lawyers agreed to let the comedian off without fines.

Mr Lewis's lawyer, Ross Goodman, said the quick resolution was "a good result for a great guy".

At the time of his arrest, Lewis's manager said the unloaded gun was a prop used in the comedian's stage act.

The comedian later said it was a gift given to him by an engraver which he had forgotten was in his bag.

Gorgeous gift

Mr Lewis told news programme Entertainment Tonight the gun was given to him during a telethon for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

"Last year, at the telethon of '07, he presented me with this gorgeous gift," he said.

"I put it in that travelling case, and I hadn't travelled since that telethon 'til that day."

Mr Lewis had been travelling to Michigan to perform a one-man show.

The comedian is best known for his comedy partnership with Dean Martin during the 1950s.

He has hosted an annual telethon in support of the Muscular Dystrophy Association since 1966.

Last year the event raised $63.8m (£32.2m).

BBC News