PDA

View Full Version : Jet man's channel bid held up

JohnCenaFan28
09-26-2008, 12:09 AM
A Swiss pilot has postponed his attempt to become the first person in history to fly across the English Channel without a plane due to bad weather.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/1429272.jpg

Yves 'Jet Man' Rossy had aimed to complete the 21-mile journey in around 12 minutes with just a jetpack strapped to his back.

The stuntman planned to jump from a plane more than 8,000ft above ground, fire up his jet-propelled wings and soar across the Channel.

But with a mere 15mins to take-off, Mr Rossy told reporters he was calling off the attempt due to a late build-up of cloud in the Dover area, reports Sky News.

He said he was concerned about the low visibility, and that he had one life and was not prepared to risk it.

"My eyes are my best instruments and in these conditions it's just too dangerous," he said.

But he added that another attempt was scheduled for tomorrow (Friday, 26 September).

"I'm not disappointed. I would be disappointed to be in the water right now and ruin it for blue sky tomorrow."

It is the second time Mr Rossy has had to put his flight on hold, with poor weather also halting plans earlier this week.

He aims to fly from Calais to Dover, tracing the route of Louis Blériot who became the first person to fly across the English Channel in a plane 99 years ago.

-Ananova