PDA

View Full Version : Stink Over Perfume Ban

OMEN
06-16-2006, 08:12 AM
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1416397.jpg
Chanel could disappear
Perfume may disappear from the shelves of stores across Russia after officials announced a crackdown on the nation's hardened drinkers.

From next month all perfumes and cosmetics will require a special licence to stop them being used as a cheap alternative to vodka.

Russians may be known for their love of vodka but for decades poverty meant many were prepared to down anything from nail polish remover to toilet cleaner.

Now the head of the nation's consumer watchdog has announced that all perfumes and cosmetics will require a special licence from July 1.

Gennady Onishchenko said he hoped this would price out of the market unscrupulous traders who sell cheap perfume to alcoholics.

Industry representatives say perfume could disappear from many shops within a month.

Moscow cosmetics shop owner Nadezhda Ivanova told the Telegraph: "Just because my husband is fool enough to drink brake fluid, why should I be deprived of the pleasure of wearing Chanel?"

Cosmetic and household products make up 20% of alcohol consumed in Russia and are a major factor in many of the 40,000 deaths a year from alcohol poisoning.

Half a million Russians die each year from alcohol-related causes and President Vladimir Putin has spoken publicly of his concerns about Russia's "curse".

A recent report by Russia's National Alcohol Association found that substances such as perfume, brake fluid, de-icer and methylated spirits made up an increasing proportion of alcohol consumed.
Sky

scorpionf
06-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Chanel is cheaper than Vodka?!?!?! :eek:

Over here Vodka is cheaper than that putrid stuff thank heavens! Vodka is my drink of choice :)

I hate perfumes!!