PDA

View Full Version : Agent Confidential - Malenko's Top 5

Black Widow
06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Agent Confidential - Malenko's Top 5
By Dean Malenko
June 15, 2006
http://www.wwe.com/content/media/images/inside/malenko_051806.jpg
Agent Confidential is a new WWE.com weekly feature that offers fans insight into the minds of some of the most influential people within WWE - the agents. The WWE agent is directly responsible for the day-to-day operations of all live event shows. In addition, agents play a critical role in the creative and athletic aspect of WWE's television shows. Each week, a different agent will write a piece for WWE.com's Agent Confidential. This week's edition was done by Dean Malenko.

When I look back over my career of 20 years plus, I’ve had the opportunity to step into the ring with some of the greats, from Eddie Guerrero to Chris Benoit to Rey Mysterio, David Finlay, Dynamite Kid and the list goes on from there. I recently asked myself if Dean Malenko were to be actively wrestling today, what five active talents on the roster that I never had the opportunity to face would I like to face?

No. 5 – Paul London
Being a past Cruiserweight Champion in WCW and WWE, I have had the opportunity to face some of the greatest cruiserweights in the world. Paul London has a no-nonsense style that I like. I’ve had the opportunity to work with Paul as an agent. He brings it to you as a wrestler. He has some unique movements that I like. The first opportunity that I had to work with Rey Mysterio, our styles were totally different but I think we complimented each other. And I see Paul London as that and if I were to be wrestling, Paul London would be, from a cruiserweight standpoint, a guy I’d really like to step in the ring with and give it a go.

No. 4 – Shelton Benjamin
When I look at both rosters from SmackDown to RAW, one of the most athletic talents that we have is Shelton Benjamin. He’s got an amateur wrestling background. He does some amazing things in the ring effortlessly and again, he’s somebody that I’d like to step in the ring with. I think our styles would mesh really well together being that we had amateur backgrounds. He’s somebody I think I’d really enjoy going toe to toe with.

No. 3 – Trish Stratus
Playing the character in the past with WWE as a ladies man and having the opportunity to work with some beautiful women such as Lita and Chyna and Ivory and Jacqueline of the past, Trish is somebody, if I had the opportunity, that I’d like to face. I think she not only has beauty, but there’s a toughness about her. She’s got a little tomboy in her. As far as her attitude and her work rate, she doesn’t complain about anything. She’s always coming to work and every time she steps in the ring she gives it her best and I appreciate that. From a male standpoint, stepping into the ring with somebody like Trish would be very interesting for Dean Malenko.

No. 2 – Shawn Michaels
Shawn is somebody that I have known personally for quite a few years. I never had the opportunity to step in the ring with him being that we were at different places at different times. Shawn is the ultimate professional. Probably this decade one of the best baby faces that the business has ever seen. Shawn is somebody that I know that I would have liked to have had numerous matches with. Again, I always appreciated somebody’s professionalism in the ring and what they brought to the table and I think that Shawn and Dean Malenko would have really had good matches.

No. 1 – Kurt Angle
The Man of a Thousand Holds vs. the Olympic Gold Medalist. He’s a wrestler’s wrestler. I’ve watched Kurt since the beginning. Being someone that has an extensive wrestling background, to me that would be my dream match Kurt Angle vs. Dean Malenko. I think enough said when it comes to that.

(more on Malenko):

WWE Agent Dean Malenko
http://www.wwe.com/content/media/images/inside/malenko_051806.jpg
While he was never the biggest or flashiest wrestler to step in the ring, Dean Malenko has long been considered one of the best to ever lace up the boots. The “Man of 1000 Holds” achieved success all over the world, wrestling in Japan, Mexico, and later in the United States for ECW, WCW and eventually WWE.

In the mid 90s, Malenko made his mark in Extreme Championship Wrestling. While there he achieved championship status, winning both the World Television and World Tag Team Championships. In 1996, Malenko brought his talents to WCW. Dean excelled in the Monday night spotlight, becoming a four-time WCW Cruiserweight Champion and a one-time United States Champion. While in WCW, Malenko recorded some of the more memorable rivalries of the 90s with fellow Superstars Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Rey Mysterio. Later, Malenko enjoyed perhaps the highlight of his career when he was asked to join the legendary Four Horsemen. As a member of the Horsemen, Malenko, along with his longtime friend Chris Benoit became World Tag Team Champions, cementing his status on the pro wrestling landscape. In January 2000, Malenko made a dramatic move, leaving WCW for WWE. In short order, Malenko added to his championship resume, becoming a two-time WWE Light Heavyweight Champion.

In late 2001, Malenko hung up his boots and retired from in-ring competition. Years later, he is still considered to be one of the greatest technicians to ever step foot in the squared circle. Today, Dean Malenko is still with WWE, working in a backstage role as a talent agent, helping to guide the Superstars of the future.

From WWE.com

the madscotsman
06-16-2006, 03:46 PM
he invented the jackhammer and the crippler crossface. I liked him I wish he and benoit had done that match at one night stand.

dezorr
06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
me too!!!!!!!!!!