View Full Version : Two for the price of one

JohnCenaFan28
10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
An amateur photographer captured in action two of nature's greatest fishermen - on the same snap.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/1444916.jpg

In the foreground of Brian Macfarlane's photo of a lifetime, a kingfisher flies off holding its fish dinner in its beak.

And, behind it, a pike leaps from the water with its jaws open as it tries to make a make a meal of young roach fleeing for their lives.

The picture was taken by the amateur wildlife photographer at the RSPB reserve at Strumpshaw Fen on the Norfolk Broads.

Mr Macfarlane, 73, of Norwich, had originally gone to a hide on the reserve to try and picture a visiting osprey.

He said: "I ended up spending a couple of hours sitting watching these small roach jump out of the water as they were chased by a predatory fish.

"Then all of a sudden this kingfisher came along and landed on a marker post so I turned my attention to it. I watched as it dived into the water to catch a fish and came out with a little one in its mouth.

"Then when I checked the images on the back of my digital camera to see if I had got the kingfisher in sharp focus, I saw this image in the background.

"I magnified it to see what it was and was shocked to see that I had got this pike in full flight after the fishes.

"It was a pure fluke to get the kingfisher and the pike in the same frame. You could sit there for weeks on end and not be able to manage it."

-Ananova