PDA

View Full Version : Spielberg and Universal sign deal

JohnCenaFan28
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Steven Spielberg's Dreamworks studio has signed a deal with Universal Pictures to distribute its films as his company parts ways with Paramount.

The seven-year agreement will see Universal distribute up to six DreamWorks movies a year in the US and overseas, except for India.

Spielberg made his early films, including Jaws, for Universal.

In a statement the director said: "While it feels great to come home again, it feels like I never left."

'Successful association'

Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment production company remained based at Universal's studios in Hollywood even after Paramount acquired DreamWorks in 2006.

"Universal has always been my home base so this agreement starts a new chapter in what has been a long and successful association," he said.

Earlier this month it was announced Dreamworks had agreed a joint venture with one of India's biggest entertainment conglomerates, Reliance ADA Group.

Dreamworks recently parted ways with Paramount, over ongoing friction over the costs of keeping Spielberg and his outfit there.

Stacey Snider will remain in charge of Dreamworks. Before taking the job in 2006 she was chairwoman of Universal Pictures.

Universal Pictures chairman Marc Shmuger said: "I really feel like it is a homecoming for Steven and Stacey."

Dreamworks films already finished or nearing completion at Paramount, such as The Soloist, The Lovely Bones and next summer's Transformers sequel, still will be distributed by Paramount.

About 30 other films in development while Dreamworks was based at Paramount are being split between Paramount and Universal.

-BBC News