PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Angle Says He Is Talking To Mma Companies About Fighting In 2009

Black Widow
10-15-2008, 06:43 PM
SJM Concerts, which is promoting TNA's January 2009 tour of the United Kingdom, sent out the following press release today, recapping Kurt Angle's media day last month at Wembley Arena. Angle talks about Bound For Glory, TNA's growth, Mick Foley's arrival in the company and (surprise) his plans for an MMA fight in 2009.

Here is the press release:

On Monday 22nd September 2008, Olympic Gold medalist and pro wrestling legend Kurt Angle came to London Wembley Arena. He was met by admiring fans and talk about the upcoming January tour; their Biggest UK tour ever and Bound for Glory their biggest pay per view across the world which airs in the UK on Bravo on October 12th.

The day starts with Craig Jenkins Director of Live Events for TNA who spoke about his admiration for UK fans and stated; “crowds in the UK are much different –Till doors open till the show finishes the crowd go wild and cheer all the way through the show”

He also added what to expect on the Maximum Impact tour, “There will be Fresh names, fresh faces. Leave nothing on the table. We played smaller gigs before but the magnitude what we have seen so far is amazing. Jeff Jarrett – King Of The Mountain has a few surprises up his sleeve, so be sure to check him out”

During Craig’s speech, Kurt Angle dressed out of his wrestling gear, has an aura of greatness and spoke honestly about his move to pro wrestling and to TNA.

“A lot of people want to know why I made the switch to TNA – WWE it’s no lie it’s a monster, they are the top wrestling company and will continue to be. I wanted to serve a larger purpose and serve with a smaller company. Over the past two years the impact its had on me and me on them is amazing” Kurt continues, “In just 6 years, TNA Wrestling has done more than any other wrestling company could do in 20. Rating, shows have been unparallel. Our shows are played in 158 countries, in Australia we are the number 1 wrestling corporation out there. I also want to credit to people in England, who internationally put us on the map. We take pride in our wrestling.”

He also talks amicably about other wrestlers’ crossing over such as Mick Foley.

“It’s a huge deal. Most entertaining wrestlers ever seen – takes a lot of chances. Much better talker and add lots to company. Mick Foley has a lot of wisdom to teach the other guys. See a lot more soon coming to TNA, a lot to do with opportunity” Its not just opportunity, as it has allowed Kurt to be original; “There are no gimmicks; we are not being puppets, so the show is a little bit different. I book my own matches and it allows me to bring own creativity. I like one or ones, good vs. bad, win or lose straight up.”

So we know he has make life changing decision, but what about his history; In 1996 Kurt Angle became an Olympic Gold Medallist in Amateur Wrestling. Soon after he moved to Pro Wrestling and unlike most became an instant hit and within 10 months won the world title. Also he adds that over of the ten greatest matches even seen he has probably had 6 of them because the chemistry with his opponents such as the undertaker. He speaks about his future;

“I’m still young in this sport. To perfect it you have to put in at least 20 yrs. My first year I won the world title. I’ve done a hell of a lot. 10 world titles, I don’t think anyone has ever done that in 8 years. As an amateur wrestler I won 6 nationals, I am one of only 4 to win grand slams, and I am very proud of that. I’ve done what I want to do and I want to and now my goal is make TNA more successful and one of the best federations around.”

Now in the Wrestling Hall of Fame, he wants to move to MMA. “My health is 100% I have never felt better and I am talking to several fight companies for MMA 2009. I will have to take a few months out. I want to represent TNA and do well.”

He also gives advice to budding wrestlers about the transition into pro wrestling from other sports;

“I was taught to show no emotion in amateur wrestling where pro you are taught to show all emotion, to ask the amateur to do this, it takes a long time. Development can take years. I spent no times and threw me into the fire, I was used when undertaker was injured. I was one of few to pick a title up”

To round off the day and reflecting on his career Kurt says;

“I am very happy with my decision and I fought everyone but my favorite opponents are Samoa Joe and Jeff Jarrett – most underrated, as far as being a household name, he never quite got there. This years Bound For Glory on October 12 for the first time – is going to be the most memorable for a long, long time.”

Catch the tour live in the UK at:

Tuesday, January 20 – Manchester – Manchester Evening News Arena
Wednesday, January 21 – Birmingham – National Indoor Arena
Thursday, January 22 – Glasgow – Braehead Arena
Saturday, January 24 – London – Wembley Arena

Tickets for the special fan packages go on sale now at www.gigsandtours.com 24 hr cc hotline 0871 2200 260. Original tickets are on sale now.

Bell time for all shows is 7:30 P.M. with doors opening at 6:30 P.M. It was also a chance to see an exclusive snippet of the TNA Wrestling game by Midway Games which is out now

Visit www.tnawrestling.com for more detail on the tour.

Cross The Line to TNA Wrestling, the most innovative experience in professional wrestling today. Join TNA World Heavyweight Champion Samoa Joe, Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle, “The Icon” Sting, Booker T, Christian Cage, AJ Styles and the no-limits X-Division inside the six-sided ring of “TNA iMPACT!” every Saturday at 9 p.m. on Bravo.

And catch Bound for Glory next Wednesday on Bravo.

TNA Entertainment, LLC is a privately held company headquartered in Nashville, Tenn.

PWInsider.com

JohnCenaFan28
10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for posting.