PDA

View Full Version : Silverman heckled at London gig

JohnCenaFan28
10-21-2008, 12:19 AM
US comedian Sarah Silverman was heckled on stage during her UK stand-up debut in London.

Fans, who had paid about £50 a ticket, slow hand clapped and shouted they wanted their money back after the star's short 40-minute set.

After the audience refused to leave, Silverman was forced to give a Q&A session as an encore after admitting she had no other material prepared.

The comedian has her own show on US cable TV network Comedy Central.

Unimpressed fans shouted "you're over-hyped Sarah" and "I've seen longer clips on YouTube", before the star told the audience to "go home" and the left the stage.

Reviewers from comedy websites and national newspapers were also left underwhelmed by Silverman's set at the Hammersmith Apollo, which "fizzled out" by the end.

Calling time

The Daily Telegraph's Dominic Cavendish described the comic as "skipping away in near-disgrace" after the "excruciatingly embarrassing" question and answer session.

Steve Bennett from comedy website Chortle complained that "minute for minute, there are sex phonelines that are cheaper than Sarah Silverman".

"She is a guiltily enjoyable act, but just when she starts to hit her stride, she calls time on the gig - over when it had barely begun," he said.

"With this shockingly brief performance she delivers a stinging insult to the fans who had been so ready to laud her."

BBC Radio 1 reporter Kev Geoghegan, who was also at the gig, said Silverman looked "clearly mystified" as to why she had to return to the stage after her short set.

"A lot of people who paid £45 a ticket would have been aggrieved," he told the BBC News website.

"For a gig that size of 3,600 people and a first night in London to show people what all the fuss in America is about her, she could've done more - she should have been able to fill for another 20 minutes."

Fans also fumed on internet forums about the gig, including Rob who posted on Time Out's website: "I've never been to a more sad-sack performance in my life - if you can't produce a single slice of new material, then don't put on a show in the first place," he said.

"When the lights went up, I thought it was a joke, and when she was cajoled into coming back onto the stage it was almost embarrassing - utterly pathetic."

Earlier this year, a clip of Silverman singing with Matt Damon about a fake affair became a worldwide hit on the internet after being watched by millions.

-BBC News