PDA

View Full Version : Saw: The Game

Kellie
10-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Hot on the heels of the release of the fifth SAW movie, Brash Entertainment is hard at work in bringing the grisly horror franchise to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC which will coincide with the release of SAW VI (October 2009). We speak with SAW: The Video Game's producer David Cohen to find out what we can expect to be playing when the game comes out next year.

OMGHorror.com: Video games based on films sometimes don't do so well, especially games based on horror films. What is the team behind the SAW game doing to ensure that they won't make the same mistakes others have made when turning a popular movie franchise into a game?
David Cohen: Passion is the first key to making a good game, and the passion for SAW is overflowing here. The SAW video game is a game I've been passionate about making since I went to see the first film on opening day, so the ideas have been brewing for years and now we finally have the opportunity to make it a reality.

Going into this project we were aware of the stigma that movie licensed games have, and made a conscious decision to identify what those were and design/develop our game so that it simultaneously didn't make those mistakes, while providing a true gaming experience while staying true to the SAW universe.

Our first important decision was instead of trying to rush the game out the door, we chose to release Saw: The Video Game alongside the sixth SAW film in October 2009. This gave us a full production cycle, allowing time for quality gameplay, art, design and story. We then selected a development team that has just as much passion for SAW as we do. Everyone at Zombie Studios, the game developers, working on the SAW game specifically asked to be a part of it.

We are looking at the game from a cerebral, primal, perspective. Getting into the minds of Jigsaw, his victims and everyone in the universe. What motivates them, why they do the things that they do, how they relate to one another and melding the story and design step by step using this thought process. The SAW creators James Wan and Leigh Whannell, the team at Lionsgate, plus Mark Burg and Oren Koules at Twisted Pictures have been instrumental in helping us answer these questions, and tap into the minds of the SAW characters and players, and the results have been absolutely amazing.

What genre is the SAW game going to fall under? Is this going to be a Manhunt-esque game? Is there a game that exists that has influenced it or you can compare it to?
The SAW video game is going to be a sort of hybrid than other "survival horror" games. It's not simply a survival horror game, but more of a horror-thriller, just like the films. There will be elements from the survival horror genre including exploration, mystery, and puzzles, but also loads of action and suspense. We are also introducing many gameplay elements that have not been seen in a video game to date. Our goal is to make SAW the game set a trend for a new kind of Next-Gen horror game.

What can SAW fans look forward to in terms of what they'll actually be doing in the game? Are they going to be building the traps or will they be playing the role of the person stuck in SAW's elaborate death traps (both?)? Will there be puzzles to solve in order to escape the devices?
I can't go into too much detail right now, but I can tell you that if your hoping that the you'll be able to do all of these things in the game, you won't be disappointed.

Speaking of SAW's trademark death traps, are the traps in the game from the original movie only? Will any all-new traps make an appearance?
We've been working closely with Leigh Whannell and James Wan, the SAW creators, to develop a bunch of new and original traps that will deliver the same edgy, nail biting experience as the ones from the films.

SAW the video game is based on events that take place after the original movie. Is there any possibility that characters or elements from the other five movies will make an appearance in the game?
The SAW video game answers questions posed in the first SAW film, as well as bridges the gap between SAW I and II. Twisted Pictures and Lionsgate have been extremely supportive in working with us to make sure that the game narrative fits in perfectly to the overall puzzle of Jigsaw.

When the SAW game was first announced, an image was shown of a woman holding her hands above her head in a glass box grasping a Wii Remote. Is the game coming out for the Wii and if so how will it utilize the console's unique motion controls?
I remember that image and it was hilarious, however, that image was actually created by one of the online sites that picked up the news of the game's announcement. To deliver the high quality visuals and mechanics that a Next-Gen game like this requires, the SAW video game will be released for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC platforms.

What role will SAW's iconic mascot Billy the Puppet play in the game?
Billy is the horrific messenger of Jigsaw and will be as much a presence in the SAW video game as he is in the films, and just as disturbing.

At a press event held earlier this year, a brief teaser for Saw the game was shown, and Billy the Puppet addressed gaming press saying that they have "wasted their lives writing about video games." Will the Saw game play similar mind games with the player?
We definitely want to provide as true SAW experience for the interactive medium. In my opinion, the player should only want to stop and put down the controller because they are too shaken up and need a break from the intensity of the experience. The SAW video game will have the same twists and turns we have come to expect from SAW. With each level the player will be surprised but what happens next.

The best part about the Saw films is the insane gore. How gruesome is this game going to be?
The SAW video game will deliver the same quality (and quantity) of action as the SAW films, while making sure that we stay aligned with delivering a great gameplay experience. We are aiming to provide the full Saw experience. I believe Jigsaw said it best with, "Oh yes, there will be blood".

Source: OMGHorror.com

JohnCenaFan28
11-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Interesting, thanks for posting.

DUKE NUKEM
11-01-2008, 04:04 PM
sounds cool thanks for this kellie

Punisher
11-03-2008, 03:14 AM
Bad idea i think