PDA

View Full Version : Kinnear - Hands off Given

Black Widow
11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Joe Kinnear has told Tottenham that under no circumstances would Newcastle consider selling Shay Given.

The shaky form of Spurs' first choice Heurelho Gomes has led to speculation that Harry Redknapp could be in the market for a goalkeeper when the January transfer window opens for business.

David James has been mooted as a realistic target but earlier this week stated his contentment at Portsmouth, while Redknapp has been a long-term admirer of Given.

However, while Michael Owen, Nicky Butt and Steve Harper will be able to talk to interested parties in the New Year as their current contracts draw to a close, interim boss Kinnear is adamant that the likes of Given will not be up for sale.

No sale

He said: "I can save Harry the time and money and tell him not to bother even picking up the telephone, because there is no way Shay Given will be leaving this football club.

"We want to build up Newcastle United and get good players in, not good players out.

"And why would he want to go to Spurs? This is a bigger club than Spurs."

Kinnear insists he has nothing but admiration for the 32-year-old Republic of Ireland international, who remains very much a key figure at St James' Park.

He add: "Shay Given has a lot of presence. All great goalkeepers have it.

"He reminds me a lot of Pat Jennings, who I played in front of for most of my time at Spurs.

"I have the utmost respect for Shay Given, as have most people in the game.

"He has vast experience and he is vital to us - and not only that, he is a decent fella."

sky sports