PDA

View Full Version : Wenger: Gunners ready for Fab future

Kenpachi Zaraki
11-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Arsene Wenger maintains Arsenal's future is bright under new captain Cesc Fabregas - and backed William Gallas.

Wenger believes the Frenchman will return stronger from his controversial spell in leading the team. The Gunners boss moved to strip former Chelsea defender Gallas of the captaincy and left him out of the group at Manchester City on Saturday following his latest public criticism of the young Gunners, questioning their fighting spirit.

Gallas, 31, was something of a unexpected choice to be installed as permanent skipper after Thierry Henry left for Barcelona. Last season, he famously lost composure at Birmingham when breaking down in the centre circle and recently accepted he had put in some "tired" performances as he was found wanting in defensive duties.

Nevertheless, the veteran Frenchman had always been given the full backing of his manager - until the events of last week and Gallas' hard-hitting revelations of supposed dressing-room unrest.

Wenger, though, hopes the matter can now be put behind player, squad and club alike as Arsenal aim to secure a place in the knockout stages of the Champions League with victory over Dynamo Kiev at Emirates Stadium tomorrow night.

"I do not think I have to especially explain why I make the decisions, but it is permanent," said Wenger.

"It is a good opportunity now for us to show we have strength and ability.

"Even if we are frustrated at the moment, it is not all doom and gloom.

"We have a strong belief in our ability and we have a good opportunity to show we care about the club and that we can qualify tomorrow.

"The ideal way is to play well tomorrow, to show we are united and that we have the strength to deal with it."

Gallas arrived from Chelsea as part of the deal which took full-back Ashley Cole to Stamford Bridge in August 2006, and Wenger insists he has no regrets about making the outspoken Frenchman his Arsenal captain.

However, the Gunners boss accepted the pressures of the role may have taken their toll in the end.

"I have a big respect for him," said Wenger. "William is a player and a man whom I rate. He was working as a captain in a very difficult media environment, he was under big pressure from the press and at some stage you do not want this high pressure to affect him or the team."

Wenger rejected reports Gallas was set to be sold when the January transfer window opens in January.

"I cannot stop the suggestions, but for me he is a player who is committed to the club and can be stronger as a player because he took all of the problems of the team to his heart," he said.

"It can be a new start for him and he can be stronger for a player.

"But now I think we have to close this subject and you have to respect somewhere a little bit the privacy of the team."

At 21, Euro 2008 winner Fabregas is one of the youngest captains in the history of the club.

Wenger, though, feels leading the side is not just the role of one man.

The Arsenal manager said: "I believe the captain is the voice of the club towards the outside, and is one of the leaders of the team.

"However, I do not believe in just one man in the dressing room who sorts out all of the problems.

"A successful team is a shared leadership inside the dressing room. He (Fabregas) will be one of the leaders, but not the only one."

Wenger continues to keep the faith this group can produce the results needed to compete for honours.

He said: "It is a learning trade, to be a top player in a top club, you need to be mentally very strong and to deal with these types of concentration.

"I have to stand up for my players in the criticism we get, but we are a strong team and that will come out.

"My trust in my players has not been affected.

"I am focused to do things well, the right way. I am strong enough to let people have opinions, and do what I feel is right."

Victory tomorrow night over the Ukrainians would secure qualification from Group G with a game to spare, and lift some of the pressure on a side which has seen their domestic title hopes dented following a fifth defeat at the weekend.

Wenger maintained: "Let's be judged in May.

"Every week everyone has a definite opinion - but when they are wrong, they do not come the next week and say 'sorry, we were wrong.'

"We can qualify tomorrow, and that is what we want to do. From then on, we have a massive game on Sunday against Chelsea.

"We know for us to have a chance in the championship, we have to beat all the direct opponents.

"If we can do that, then we still have a good chance."

espnstar.com

Fab FTW :kemo: