PDA

View Full Version : Text 118 118 for racist hate

Black Widow
11-26-2008, 02:08 PM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00662/Kameron-Abbas_phone_662287a.jpg

MUSLIM student Kameron Abbas texted a joke service run by 118 118 – and got RACIST gags about Asian people.

The 21-year-old was sent a joke by the directory inquiry service saying: “What’s the difference between ET and an Asian? ET got the message and went home.”

Kameron, of Accrington, Lancs, said: “You would have thought a service like this would be responsible with their gags and not send stuff like this.

“We couldn’t believe the response. It was more Bernard Manning than Harry Hill. It was disgraceful and these people should be reported.”

Kameron, a student at Preston’s University of Central Lancashire, had used the company’s new joke text service after seeing it advertised on TV.

For a 60p a time fee, users can request jokes from 118 and they receive gags by text messaging to their mobile phone.

No joke

Kameron, who's family live in Pakistan, had borrowed the mobile phone of a mate.

“My friend and I texted 118 118 after seeing their advert on TV,” he said.

“We did it for a laugh as we were bored and wanted to see what jokes they had.

“I was horrified at what we received and couldn’t believe that 118 118 would send anything like what they did. These sorts of jokes are not funny at all. They are promoting racism.

“I texted them asking why they send racist jokes but they replied claiming they don’t send any of that kind. I’m going to seek legal advice about this. They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with it."

A spokesman for 118 118 said: “We are investigating. This is a breach of our standards. We don’t do jokes like that. This is a disciplinary issue and we would like to apologise.

“He should not have received it.”

Preston Labour MP Mark Hendrick who campaigns for racial equality added: “Clearly this is racist material and would be found offensive by sections of the community.

“I think it’s only right and proper that 118 118 correct the material they send out because it should be seen as a responsible business.

“I commend the fact they have apologised for this and hope that no material of this nature will go out in the future.”

The 118 118 brand is operated by The Number from three call centres based in Cardiff, Plymouth and Manila in the Philippines.

Launched in 2002, it provides a range of services including directory inquiries, cinema listings, train times, and a question and answer service.

Its new joke service has been featured in a series of telly ads featuring the 118 runners sporting headbands and moustaches.

The Sun

JohnCenaFan28
11-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks for posting.