PDA

View Full Version : Morrow: WWE star Chris Jericho muscled his way out of Morristown

Black Widow
11-28-2008, 09:08 PM
World Wrestling Entertainment star Chris Jericho - who's fulfilling dreams for the down-and-out on a new reality show - can't forget when he was trying to get his feet off the ground in Morristown, Tenn.

Back then, he was working for the homegrown Smoky Mountain Wrestling organization, which eventually bred many superstars such as Kane (Jefferson County resident Glen Jacobs) for the WWE.

Jericho wasn't making much money, got hurt a lot and lived in a small apartment in Morristown, hoping his career would take off. "It was weird because I was 22 years old, and I was living in a dry county," the pro wrestler said recently.

"There were no bars, nothing going on."

He tried to get to Knoxville "to have some fun," but when he couldn't make it, he had a plan B.

"I'd go to the 24-hour Wal-Mart in Morristown," he said. "I'd go to the Sizzler, and I went to a lot of movies. Thank goodness for Morristown's movie theater."

What'd he like most about Knoxville? "It was a nice town, a lot of good-old hometown people," he said. "It was fun. I enjoyed it."

That was a long time ago for the Canadian performer whose real name is Christopher Irvine. His wrestling career has had him winning championship belts and seeing the world.

After a decade in the WWE, Jericho, who is now nearing 40, left to try other things - like a singing career and even stand-up comedy.

"I needed a break from the grind," he said of why he left and then returned after several months. "I knew when it was time to go back that I'd be mentally prepared and better than ever. That plays a lot into it.

"You have to know when it's your time and be ready for it. Otherwise, you'll fail."

Among his other projects was a stint with The Groundlings, a comedy improvisational group has produced talent such as Will Ferrell and Phil Hartman.

Jericho hooked up with the group through a friend. Jericho performed with them one night and liked the results.

"Really, when you think about it, I have had years and years of improv training through my time in the WWE," he said. "You have to be quick on your feet. It was a great experience to keep up with them and even trumping them on stage.

"I did a Thursday night show for them every week for a year."

Eventually, Jericho returned to the WWE and now divides his time between wrestling around the country and acting. He's the host of the Fuse channel's new reality show "Redemption Song," airing Wednesday nights.

The show gives tough girls a chance at a Geffen Records contract. The show follows their backstage drama and reminds viewers of their tragic histories.

"At first, I wasn't sure about doing it," Jericho said of "Redemption Song."

"I thought, 'Do we really need another reality show?' Then I heard the concept of the show and was really intrigued by it."

knoxnews.com

JohnCenaFan28
11-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Thanks for this.