PDA

View Full Version : Xavi rejects Ballon d'Or honour

Kenpachi Zaraki
12-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Barcelona's Xavi says he should not be a Ballon d'Or contender despite being the Euro 2008 player of the tournament.

Midfielder Xavi was considered the most influential player in Spain's first trophy win in 44 years after the triumph in Austria and Switzerland last summer but the life-long Barca player insists his performances mean nothing without the help of his team-mates.

"The truth is I don't even think about. I just don't think I deserve the Ballon d'Or," he told Spanish newspaper Marca.

"I'm like that. It's not humility," he added.

"I simply had a good European Championships, but I'm a collective player, I depend on the team, on my team-mates. Without them I'm nothing. And I'll continue to depend on my team-mates.

"That's how my football is and if I'm successful it's thanks to the rest of the team."

Instead Xavi sees his Barca team-mate Leo Messi or Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo as more likely candidates.

But he admits he would like to see the award go to someone from Spain's winning side.

"People like Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo stand out more, who on their own can do something and decide a game," he said.

ESS