PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hardy Interview - Inside!

JohnCenaFan28
12-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Nick Hilbourn, Morning News
Published: December 3, 2008

Matt Hardy’s wrestling résumé is like something out of a hardware store: tables, ladders, chairs, cages — you name it. After a star-studded tag team career with his brother, Jeff, Matt moved onto singles action, which saw its own fair share of success as well as controversy.
As Florence Civic Center prepared for WWE Smackdown/ECW Live this Saturday, we talked to Hardy to learn what he had to say about WWE, fans and the joys and struggles of becoming a singles competitor.

You’re one of the many superstars that grew up during the professional wrestling revival of the ’80s. Tell us who, from that era, inspired you to get into wrestling?
Obviously, I grew up as a big fan of WWE. Also, at the same time, I grew up watching NWA (National Wrestling Alliance). With the WWE, Macho Man was my guy and with NWA, Ric Flair was my guy.

I’ve read a lot about how you and your brother (Jeff Hardy) experimented with your own organizations prior to joining WWE. For example, a Trampoline Wrestling Federation you formed with Shannon Moore. Were there any more projects such as that?
Yes, we started OMEGA (Organization of Modern Extreme Grappling Arts) in 1997. A lot of (WWE) talent like Shannon Moore, Joey Mercury and Joey Abs are out of that.

OMEGA folded after you got your WWE contracts, correct?
Yes.

When you went into WWE, you guys took a lot of people aback. Your high-flying maneuvers were quite different from the chokeslams and powerbombs many of the wrestlers of that time utilized. What inspired you to take that route?
I think earlier on when we entered (WWE) the guys were just a lot bigger. For us to survive, we had to take risks, be high-flying. We figured that would electrify the fans. If they never knew what to expect, it’d be something they remember.

Your tag-team, The Hardy Boyz, gained a lot of popularity and then at what seemed like its zenith, you both became singles wrestlers. Why?
It was just time to branch out as wrestlers. We were both on the cusp to have solid careers.

What’s the biggest difference in being a singles wrestler?
Well, the biggest thing about being a singles wrestler is there’s no Jeff to tag to. You have to be in tip-top shape. That’s the first thing you have to get ready for.
Also, as a singles wrestler, you succeed or fail and you get all the credit for it. The spotlight’s all on you, and I like having the spotlight on me.

So, you like the pressure to perform, I guess?
Yes.

Somewhat related to the spotlight, let me ask you about the fan’s impact on your career.
For those who aren’t familar with your career history: In 2005, Lita, your real-life girlfriend (as well as in-ring girlfriend) at the time, had an affair with then-best friend, the wrestler Edge. You made some comments on your Web site concerning this, and were subsequently fired from WWE, only to have the fans’ protest bring you back to the organization.
Yes. The fans brought me back. I wouldn’t be here, if it weren’t for their support, if they weren’t out there saying, “You screwed Matt,” and “Bring back Matt.”

You have a lot of admiration for your fans.
Jeff and I grew up as fans and we remember that, so if there’s five or 10 fans who see me somewhere, I make it a point to come and speak to them and sign autographs. I hate it when guys in the wrestling business forget about the fans because they are the key to becoming a superstar. Without them, there would be no “us.”

You trained under the legendary Dory Funk before you signed with WWE. Do you see anything different in today’s wrestling from what Funk taught you and Jeff?
Training with him gave us a sense of the old style of wrestling, building a match from A to B to C to D. The thing that’s most different (now is) you can’t always go from A to B because of television and time restictions. Sometimes you start at D.

Bar none, what would you pick as your favorite singles match?
The one that stands out to me is my cage match versus Edge. The leg dropped off the top of the cage. But then again, my most recent match with Finley, it went almost 25 minutes. He’s amazing. He has been in the business for 25 years and he still moves like a young guy.

Final question — what should our readers expect at this upcoming WWE event?
Well, we’ve got a great card. The Undertaker is going to be tag-teaming with Triple H. I’ll be facing Jack Swagger. It’s going to be a great night from top to bottom, a full three hours to just let yourself go.

Source: SCNOW.COM