PDA

View Full Version : Gurkha chefs win award for lard sculptures

JohnCenaFan28
12-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Army Gurkha chefs are celebrating after winning an award for making sculptures out of lard.

Chefs from the Queens Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment won catering awards for sculptures including a dragon and a Buddha statue.

Lance Corporal Amrit Limbu, 27, used three 11lbs blocks of lard to create the Buddha statue, working for up to 12 hours a day for eight days, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Lc Cpl Limbu, whose regiment is based in Aldershot, Hants, said: "It took a really long time to do the preparation. However, as it finally started to take shape and come to life, it started to get really exciting.

"It took a long time overall, but I was very pleased with what I produced, and delighted with my award."

The Queen's Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment (QOGLR) won a total of three awards at the Combined Services Catering Competition.

The regiment's commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Anthony Duncan, said: "It never ceases to amaze me how the Gurkha chefs manage to produce something so spectacular out of a block of fat."

-Nova