PDA

View Full Version : Tinsel ban for lollipop man

JohnCenaFan28
12-10-2008, 08:39 PM
A lollipop man has been ordered to remove tinsel from his 'Stop' sign - on health and safety grounds.

Council officials banned the festive decoration in case it distracts drivers, reports the Daily Mail.

Pupils at Berrywood Primary School in Hedge End, near Southampton, were reportedly upset when the tinsel was taken off Kevin Simpson's sign.

Parents are now mounting a campaign to allow Mr Simpson to put his tinsel back. They plan to wave banners outside the school and are starting a petition.

Mr Simpson said: "After all this is the festive season and it is only for a couple of weeks. It is just a bit of fun and they can have laugh on their way to school. When I was told the tinsel had to go I was in tears and so were the children."

Mother-of-two Maria Ritzema blasted council officers, saying: "The tinsel was not excessive and I was incensed when I heard it had to be removed."

Mr Simpson's bosses at Hampshire County Council insisted there were strict guidelines governing dress codes for lollipop men and women.

However council leader, Ken Thornber, said he would look into the case, adding:

He said: 'It's nice to see this lollipop man is trying to spread a little bit of Christmas cheer. They do such a vital job and it would be a shame if they could not have some festive fun."

-Nova

John
12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
thanx for the news.