PDA

View Full Version : Kidman graces Australia film gala

JohnCenaFan28
12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Hollywood stars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman have braved the cold to step out on the red carpet at the London premiere of Australia.

Sir Elton John and Twiggy were among a starry crowd in Leicester Square, where Baz Luhrmann's epic was screened.

Kidman said she hoped it would make people fall in love with her country.

The film, set in the Northern Territory of Australia in the 1940s, sees an unlikely alliance form between an English aristocrat and a cattle drover.

It also stars child actor Brandon Walters in his very first acting performance, which critics have hailed.

Speaking ahead of the premiere, Luhrmann, who also made Moulin Rouge and Strictly Ballroom, said: "I think there is a special relationship between Australia and England and actually my films were discovered here.

"Strictly Ballroom was discovered in London and it ran for 10 weeks at number one, it was so unexpected.

"And here I am back after all these years with this film. It feels good, it really does."

Oscar-winning actress Kidman wore a sparkly white dress, but pulled on a coat as she signed autographs for fans.

Of the film, she said: "I hope people like it and it makes them fall in love with my country. I hope they realise it's funny and romantic and it's a popcorn movie."

The film cost an estimated $130 million (£85 million), making it the most expensive movie in Australian cinema history.

The ambitious project, which features a song composed by Sir Elton John, lasts more than two and a half hours.

Australia will be released in the UK on 26 December.

-BBC News