PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool wrap up Bellamy switch

Dmac
06-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Liverpool wrap up Bellamy switch

http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/2663/41410713bellamy2037ne.jpg

Liverpool have completed the signing of Blackburn striker Craig Bellamy on a four-year contract.

The 26-year-old Welsh international sealed the deal, which is thought to be in the region of £6m, 24 hours after passing a medical.

Bellamy told the Reds website: "The fact that it was Liverpool made it impossible for me to turn them down.

"As I'm a fan, it doesn't matter what club I was at. I could never turn Liverpool down."

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes reluctantly told Bellamy that he could talk to the Anfield club after their offer met contractual conditions.

Bellamy's contract at Ewood Park was thought to include a clause, active until June 30, that allowed him to speak to any club offering £6m.

Liverpool are understood to have offered that amount, paving the way for contract negotiations to begin.

Bellamy scored 17 goals in 26 league and cup starts for Rovers last season.

His signing has been welcomed by Reds striker Robbie Fowler.

He said: "He's an excellent player, who will give an extra dimension to the squad."

Bellamy's arrival will signal competition for places, with England forward Peter Crouch also vying for a starting berth.

But Fowler added: "Craig is quick, a nightmare for defenders to mark, never gives anything up and knows how to score goals.

"If we are going to overhaul Chelsea, we need plenty of competition for places and Craig's arrival will keep us all on our toes."

Credit - BBC Sport

OMEN
06-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Craig Bellamy should be a great signing for Liverpool in the coming season if he can return to some of the great form that he used to show at Newcastle...
Liverpool are going to need all the help they can get up front for the start of the coming season especially with Cisse's broken leg..Could this be the start of a great new partnership between Bellamy and Crouch?

Dmac
06-22-2006, 09:25 PM
What do you mean the form he was at, at Newscastle, last season at Rovers he was on fire, didn't you see him, but now I am hoping he keeps that form.

King Placebo
06-22-2006, 10:28 PM
I hope he does too. But most of the time when we buy people off other sides, they disappoint. EG Harry Kewell. Didnt do anything.