PDA

View Full Version : Vince's Reaction To 'The Wrestler'

JohnCenaFan28
12-29-2008, 11:10 PM
According to Lost Colony Entertainment , Vince McMahon got his special viewing of The Wrestler, and he wasn't pleased. McMahon was said to be unhappy with the film, and since McMahon has the ability to veto "wrestling related advertising" on MyNetworkTV, during Smackdown, it has made things difficult for Fox (who owns MyNetworkTV) to advertise the film to the key demographic. Writer/Director Richard O'Sullivan, who was working on wrestling based sitcom entitled "Citizen Pain", was not surprised at McMahon's, stating: "Vince McMahon is a wrestling promoter. His wrestling company, which his father left to him, is the only thing that's ever been successful for him. His boxing events failed. His restaurant failed. Evel Knievel jumping the Snake River Canyon failed. He bought the Debbie Reynolds Hotel…that failed. He started a football league and a bodybuilding league and he's made a bunch of movies, which get horrible reviews and don't turn a profit. The only one of his guys who actually did turn into an a-list star was Dwayne Johnson and that was only after he broke away from Vince, got out of ‘the wrestling vacuum,' and took control of his own career. So I can see how Vince would be really pissed that a movie about ‘his' industry—which thematically is out of step with his vision of the business—is getting great reviews and winning awards." Aronofsky has also been discussing a topic McMahon doesn't want any part of, unionizing wrestling. Recently Aronofsky stated the following…"There's really no reason why these guys are not in SAG, they're in front of a camera performing and doing stunts, and they should have that protection. They should have health insurance and they should be protected. When I won the Golden Lion, I dedicated the film to all the wrestlers; I kind of shared their stories. They're a unique lot. They're not organized, they have no pension, no health care, so many of them are tragically dying at a young age. I was talking to Mickey, ‘Why aren't wrestlers in SAG?' If you really think about it, the Screen Actors Guild should organize them…they're performing in front of a camera, and stuntmen are SAG.

Source: WNZ