PDA

View Full Version : PE teacher sacked for wearing trainers

JohnCenaFan28
12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
A PE teacher has been sacked for wearing a tracksuit and trainers.

Adrian Swain, 56, was dismissed a week before Christmas because he refused to follow a ban on trainers.

The school's local education authority has backed the sacking - claiming teachers should not wear clothing children are not allowed to wear.

Now fellow teachers at the comprehensive where Mr Swain has taught for 17 years are threatening to strike if he is not reinstated.

Mr Swain said of his dismissal for wearing the clothes he teaches in: "I am stunned that in this day and age you can be sacked for wearing the wrong type of shoes.

"I haven't a blot on my character and have suddenly been sacked for something I have always worn."

The school dress code was imposed by an acting head teacher, Lorraine Page, at the state comprehensive who has since left.

Mr Swain added:"'Pupils learn best in an atmosphere where they feel comfortable and not in a corporate, office-like setting, so I really don't like the way that education is going."

Mr Swain said he had worn tracksuit bottoms and trainers to school throughout his 30-year teaching career without any complaints.

Mr Swain said he has a final appeal against his dismissal next term.

A spokeswoman for Tower Hamlets Council confirmed that a teacher at St Paul's Way School was dismissed last week for "continually failing to comply with a reasonable management instruction".

-Nova

lɐuǝɯo⊥ǝɥԀ
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
:no: Wrong to sack him over something like that, Thanks For This

John
12-30-2008, 07:45 PM
rofl! What a story.

Black Widow
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
there suppose to wear that.. what a bunch of tossers

Slash
12-31-2008, 03:41 AM
Can you imagine a PE teacher trying to teach Football, Cross Country or Rugby in a suit?