PDA

View Full Version : Hack forces Twitter into 'full security review'

OMEN
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Analysts say breach could could force IT to rethink its use of the microblogging tool
Twitter Inc. has launched a comprehensive review of the defenses in its popular social network and microblogging service after hackers hijacked the accounts of several high-profile users on Monday.

In interviews this week, analysts said they were surprised that sites such as Twitter, which are potentially hot targets for hackers and phishers, had long avoided such major attacks, and thus strong scrutiny by its corporate users.

Since the widely publicized hack of Twitter, analysts said they are closely watching how the site and especially its corporate customers respond to the security breach.

"Certainly, with all the coverage Twitter has had about this, it will bring security to [Twitter's] attention," said Caroline Dangson, an analyst at Framingham, Mass.-based market research firm IDC.

"It reminds us that we're dealing with a medium that is less secure and [that] we need to be more conscious of what we're putting out there and not take it for granted like we have," she added.

San Francisco-based Twitter confirmed on Monday that hackers had broken into the accounts of more than 30 celebrities and organizations, including President-elect Barack Obama, Britney Spears, and the Fox News and CNN cable television networks.

The company said tools used by its support team were illegally accessed and used to send malicious messages, many of them offensive, to the compromised accounts.

The network was breached just two days after identity thieves launched a phishing campaign that tried to dupe users of the microblogging service into divulging their usernames and passwords.

In a blog post on the company's Web site, Twitter co-founder Biz Stone said he considers the compromise that led to the account hijackings to be "a very serious breach of security."

In an e-mail to Computerworld, Stone said, "We're doing a full security review on all access points to Twitter." The first steps will be to "strengthen the security surrounding sign-in" and to further restrict access to the company's own support tools, he said.

Ken van Wyk, principal consultant at KRvW Associates LLC in Alexandria, Va., said that while individual users are unlikely to change microblogging habits because of the breach, corporate IT managers should move quickly to evaluate how such incidents could affect their firms.

"We're seeing [Twitter] used more and more for communications between managers and employees to keep everyone informed about what's going on," he said. "I suspect that a few of those folks might have a knee-jerk reaction to something like this and stop using it."

Van Wyk added that the breach could inspire some IT organizations to develop applications that provide Twitter-like capabilities for in-house use.

Dangson also noted that companies should evaluate potential alternatives to Twitter or complementary, more secure tools to use with the service.

By Sharon Gaudin
Comments
Recommended
Digg
Slashdot
Email
« Prev
Top Stories
Related

* Windows 7 public beta to be available Friday
* Ballmer sets loose Windows 7 public beta
* Hack forces Twitter into 'full security review'
* Fake LinkedIn profiles promise prurient pics, send patsies malware instead
* 10 must-have free BlackBerry apps
* Cisco down to business with gear for digital home

* Fake LinkedIn profiles promise prurient pics, send patsies malware instead
* CES: Look for high speed, low energy in Bluetooth products
* LG debuts wrist-watch phone at CES
* Clearwire launches WiMax service in Portland
* CES: Consumer electronics to stay ahead of other sectors in recession

"We're not going to see a lot of people stop using [Twitter] because of this, but they might consider other forms of communication — more closed networks for certain information they're trying to share," she said. "I think people will be more cautious, but they won't stop using Twitter."

Stone said that he expects that corporate users will see Twitter's "reaction and immediate behavior" following the breach as "a signal that we're serious about security and supporting commercial use."

As for home users, vanWyk said, "I don't think people will say, 'Hey, now this place is corrupt.' I suspect [Twitter] will come away unscathed."

However, he added, "I think it would be good for companies to suffer a little bit when there's a major security breach. If they come through unscathed, where is the lesson? Where's the push to improve security?"

Compworld

JohnCenaFan28
01-09-2009, 01:01 AM
That's interesting, I hope they sort it out soon, thanks for the read.