PDA

View Full Version : Live Notes And Thoughts From Tna Genesis In Charlotte, Nc

Black Widow
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
-First, there were more people hanging out at the entrance gate for the TNA people then I have seen at WWE shows which was kind of surprising. It was also noted by others out there with us. Most seemed to be polite and just enjoyed the chance to say hello and maybe get autographs and such. We got there about 2 hours or so before the doors opened.

-I did see a few faces I recognized outside before the police decided to move everyone off the sidewalk area, which I guess is a bad thing now. Referee/wrester Shane Sewell did photos and stuff with people and seemed very friendly and gave a funny remark about Bashir. TNA President Dixie Carter came out, said hello, handed out trading cards to a few kids and then went back inside. Daffney walked out and promised to stop when she came back though if she did, it was after the police said to leave the area. Bashir was also spotted while I was out there but did not acknowledge anyone at all. Don West and Jim Cornette were also spotted and Cornette was asked by a guy in military uniform when he was going to reunite the Midnight Express. I heard others did say hello and so forth but the only other one I saw was Awesome Kong on a phone though I got there later in the afternoon due to family commitments. I am assuming I missed many due to my family get together because one guy had a blue shirts with a lot of signatures on it when we got there.

-I thought about how to describe the capacity crowd and I will have to break it down to explain. The side where the hard cameras were probably had a little over 100 people there but the rest of the arena was about 95% full though much of the upper area had only a few extra people (but that was a small section anyway). The side that the camera was facing all night was definitely the most lively the whole night but that's what happens when Borash promises the possibility of back stage passes to loud fans. Not sure how they sounded on TV but there were a lot of attempts to get chants going even though many just did not seem to blend well.

-I noticed in the PPV coverage it was noted about Sting being cheered and it's mostly because Charlotte fans associate Sting with his WCW days and refuse to boo him. I had several in my area who said they could never boo Sting because of all the great matches while he was there. There were also times the chants for Angle and Beer Money seemed to be louder then their opponents but it was a weird night in the crowd watching the balance of some following story lines and others just wanting to see the names they knew and admired. Though I will admit that I think the loudest one in my opinion was for Mick Foley, who after the cameras stopped rolling thanked the Charlotte crowd and got Brother Devon to do his testify thing as well. They probably spent 5-10 minutes walking around with AJ shaking hands with the fans, though afterward AJ appeared a bit out of it leaning on the ref and was asked by a couple people if he was OK (not sure if he got his bell rung a bit or just selling the hardcore nature of the match).

-People may point to the almost free ticket deal they had but I will tell you this, not only did it put a lot of butts in the seats, there were also huge lines before and after the card at the souvenir stand with $25 t-shirts and $20 very nice, fully colored programs. The people in line in front of us used the same deal we did and none of us complained and in fact, I think it was a positive message that many of us who go out and support them again if they were in town even if it was not free (though be careful of who you want people rooting for when you come back). I have not seen the show yet but I am sure the background was helped by it too, though not sure how many were fully paid seats either in that area. TNA's strongest point other then their wrestlers would have to be how well they are perceived to the fans as I heard nothing but praise for how personable many within the company, especially Dixie Carter is and how they are fan friendly to the point it makes people want to support them more.

-As you mentioned, no dark matches but there was a bit where Borash hyped the crowd with free backstage passes to loud members only to be interrupted by someone from backstage saying he was selling them for $200 a piece. Then Shark Boy came out, teased the crowd Austin style, stunned the guy and took the backstage passes into the crowd with him handing them to people ringside near the entry ramp. Jeremy said he would find more in the unconscious guys pants and don't know whether he did or not but I know I tried to be loud to the point I am hoarse to no avail but I had fun regardless.

-My favorite matches of the night will probably be on everybody's list but it was a toss up between the opening 6 man match and Sabin/Shelley and I think the live crowd helped make them even better as they were big time into it. Least favorite was easily Sting/Rhino and everyone around me seemed to agree though it was amusing seeing Rhyio, a babyface Frontline member flip off the crowd at one point when he was on the top rope but they were riding him hard and canting/bowing down to Sting so I guess it was called for in some respects and he was not the only one who gave the birdie to the crowd. The live crowd did not seem to buy into who were MEM and who were Frontline in regard to heels and faces. Obviously, the fans and I included, loved cheering for Mick Foley as well.

That's about all I can remember but on a scale of 1-10 on the overall experience, I would give it a 9 and do it again. My company announced they are laying off again in March which will include me so I could not have gone without the discount tickets and I know many in this area affected by the manufacturing plants in this area shutting down and moving elsewhere so that probably did not help sales. However seeing that discount offer on PWInsider.com was enough to convince us it was worth the drive as long as we kept the other costs low (all we got was a couple sodas and paid for parking though so we were fine, I wanted a Cross The Line tee but that was not in my budget this time). If someone asked me to recommend going to a TNA show, as a 36 year old man who has seen many live shows in his day, I would definitely say that if you can afford it, go and if you have an extra ticket, call me.

PWI

Black Widow
01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
I was one of the lucky people to attend Genesis tonight with those .75 cent seats which weren't bad. They were in the corner away from the ramp, but it was still a decent view. There was about 20-30 floor seats empty/not purchased. ($125 seats I believe). 1/3 the arena was tarped off (for the backstage area). Most of the hard camera side was full, but they were several rows of seats available. There was maybe 50 people on the soft camera side. I would think TNA would have to be a little disappointed with the ticket sales. I think it was a combination of early depression (yes, we are in the early stages of one) the lack of quality matches (no Samoa Joe or Brother Ray).

I arrived at the arena at 6:30. Lengthy line down the sidewalk, they started letting people in soon afterwards. Dave Penzer came out at 7:40, made the pre-show announcements about Hemme's injury (they did not acknowledge Awesome Kong's injury) and announced the six Knockouts tag. They also announced that Rhino had not arrived at the arena.

The Matches
The opening six man tag was a fun-solid match. It got the crowd going. Either I missed it or Dave Penzer screwed up because I don't remember him announcing it being an elimination match. Glad to see the big man, get the win. 3rd best match of the night.

The X-Davison Match started out a little slow but it picked up. As I predicted, we would see a lot of counters. I think I counted 5 near falls at the end of the match. There were dueling "Lets go Sabin, Lets go Shelley" chants and the guys worked hard. The finish didn't bother me, because Shelley was playing the heel and he did everything he could to win, so he decided to fake the injury and get the three. 2nd best match of the night

Sewell vs. Bashir was an okay match. As predicted, I figured Earl would get involved. The refs coming down to celebrate made sense, Sewell standing up to Booker T was interesting as well.

The Tag Title match was better then Bashir/Sewell but it was nothing special. The only 2 spots that stand out was the "Jackie Sandwhich" and Abyss's Backbreaker chokeslam. Crowd did enjoy the title change as they were some Beer Money fans.

The 6 KO match was just forgettable. No offense, but it should have been a bathroom break for me.

Jarrett vs. Angle was def match of the night. From the replay it looked like they missed most of the table. After that spot, it seemed like it took forever (in the arena anyway) for them to get back to the ring. I didn't realize how the guitar broke until I read the report when I got home. So much for a guitar spot! Jarrett's attempted splash over the top rope looked nasty as he caught the top rope. Good thing he wasn't seriously injured. Next time he needs to stick with going through middle rope instead side note, I think there were 6 total dives plus Jarrett's botched dive tonight). He got a decent pop during the stretcher job.

The TNA World title match was so disappointing. They should have scrapped the stupid injury angle and gave us a hard-hitting brawl instead of the match they gave us. Sting was way over, and if you were there you would have thought he was the babyface. I think Sewell/Bashir got more time then Sting/Rhino.

MEM vs. Frontline 6 Man Tag. Congratulations to Kip James for main eventing his first and hopefully last Pay-Per-View Match ever! They could have gone so many options, but Kip James, seriously? Did he get to Main Event by elimination? The only cool part about this match was table spot involving AJ. He did get some serious height on the springboard splash. A Styles Clash through the table would have been just as awesome.

Apparently with all the last minute injuries and card changes you kind of feel compelled to give them a pass on this show. I just hope they make it up to us, with a pay per view early next year maybe? Depending on how deep of a depression we are in and if TNA is still doing Pay Per Views on the road.

Biggest Pops (in no certain order)
Jarrett
Sting
AJ/Foley
Jarrett/Angle Table Spot
AJ Table Spot

Biggest Heat
Kurt Angle by far.
Rest of the Main Event Mafia

Match Ranking
Jarrett vs. Angle
Shelley vs. Sabin
Six Man Opener/Six Man Closer
Tag Team Title Match
Sewell vs. Bashir/ World Title Match
6 KO Match

Overall, I'd give it a 5/10. Not worthy of a Replay but if you have the money and you're a Jarrett, Angle, Sabin, Shelley, Foley fan, then buy the DVD.

JohnCenaFan28
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for posting.