PDA

View Full Version : Beckham in Ancelotti's good books

OMEN
01-12-2009, 11:47 PM
AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti revealed David Beckham's attitude and intelligence had won him a place in the starting XI for Sunday's game at Roma.

Beckham, who is on a short-term loan from the Los Angeles Galaxy, had been expected to start on the bench but played 89 minutes of the 2-2 draw - Milan's first Serie A game since the winter break.

'He did well,' said Ancelotti, who also fielded Beckham in a recent friendly against Hamburg.

'I chose Beckham to start because he proved in recent days to be a very intelligent player and serious.

'The appearance against Roma is a small reward for him because he worked very hard and has adapted well to the team.

'This was only his second game with us and he will improve.

'I believe everyone is happy to have Beckham here.'

One of those delighted to be playing alongside Beckham is Dutch midfielder Clarence Seedorf.

'We have to compliment him,' he said. 'He has done a good job and he grew in the game.

'He still needs to improve but I think he can be very satisfied with what he has done after two months of not playing.'

Roma stand-in captain Daniele De Rossi suggested Milan had made a shrewd move in capturing the 33-year-old.

'From a media standpoint Beckham is impressive,' De Rossi said. 'He is a nice guy, has a beautiful wife, has won so many trophies in his career and perhaps this penalises him as a player although I believe he has the feet and the determination.'

Beckham, meanwhile, continues to marvel at the players that surround him at Milanello.

His latest observation was that Sunday's double goalscorer Alexandre Pato of Brazil is destined for greatness.

'I really like Pato,' said Beckham. 'I have seen him in training and on the pitch.

'He is only 19 years of age and I think he can become one of the greatest players in the world.'

Milan are nine points behind Serie A leaders Inter Milan going into Saturday's home game against Fiorentina.

Milan technical director Leonardo stressed 'everything is possible' when he was asked about Beckham.

Leonardo told BBC Sport: 'It was a fantastic match for David and he gave us a lot. We are very happy with him.

'We have an agreement that he will stay for two months (but) everything is possible. We will see.'

RTE