PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Strachan: Celtic Must Improve Defending

OMEN
01-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Gordon Strachan has conceded that Celtic must improve their defending if they are to retain their Scottish Premier League title this season.

Strachan, the Hoops' manager, could only watch on as his side were beaten 4-2 by Aberdeen at Pittodrie yesterday afternoon, meaning Rangers now sit just two points behind them at the top of the league.

The Celtic boss said he was generally happy with the way his side played in the game, but that the defending would have to get better if further slip-ups are to be avoided.

"The consolation is that my team played well, made chances, showed great determination and great character, while the two goals we scored were absolutely fantastic," Strachan said to BBC Sport.

"If they play like that for the rest of the season, I will be happy. If they defend like that at set-plays, I will be a worried man.

"The thing that let us down is that they scored four goals from four free-kicks and we have to see if there is a common denominator there and eradicate it.

"I feel sorry for [goalkeeper] Mark Brown, because he has not had a save to make and has not been able to show his ability."

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood was in great spirits after his side won for the sixth game in a row at home.

"It was a fabulous advertisement for Scottish Football and it is a massive boost for us to beat the champions," he said.

Goal