PDA

View Full Version : Rey Mysterio On Being A Mentor, Winning The Rumble Months After The Death Of Eddie

JohnCenaFan28
01-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Kevin Eck of the Baltimore Sun has a new interview online with Rey Mysterio to promote tomorrow night's Royal Rumble pay-per-view. Below are the highlights:

When asked if sees himself as a mentor or a teacher: "Yeah, and not so much because I want to establish it, but because the locker room gives me the opportunity to lead by example, to be a role model if you will. The new guys coming in, the up-and-coming superstars, stop me for a second and ask me certain things, so that’s when it kicks in and I realize, OK, I have been around for almost 20 years now, so it’s time to give advice and help out with the younger stars."

About wining the Royal Rumble months after Eddie Guerrero died: "It was a lot to carry, man. Eddie passed away in November, and the Rumble was in January. We had just finished up with a big bang with that whole story line with my son and my wife and Vickie, so it was very emotional. We had not gotten over the fact that Eddie had just left us. And then we had the story line of every time that I wrestled it would be for Eddie. That kind of gave me an inner strength and helped me push through on a daily basis every time I stepped into the ring. In addition to the fact that Eddie had left us, there was a big spot that he left for me to handle and take care of, which was the whole Latin community. There were only two Latin representatives at the time – Eddie and myself – and he left that spot sitting there. It was like he said, “Rey, you’ve got to take this and run with it.” So, there were so many things that I had to think of and process and cherish. It hurt a lot, but at the same time, I pushed through it and I believe Eddie was there every step of the way."

His thoughts on Vickie Guerrero and her character on SmackDown: "Incredibly surprised. This is a Vickie that was very, very hidden deep down inside of her. Then again, I should say I’m not surprised because of the man she was married to. She’s done an incredible job."

Thoughts on tomorrow night's Royal Rumble pay-per-view: "I’m definitely looking forward to the Rumble match. I wasn’t in it the past two years. I won in 2006. In 2007, I was injured, and in 2008 I wrestled Edge. I’m very much looking forward to being in there again. Besides that, we have the John Cena versus JBL match, and I think that’s going to be a very interesting match. I want to see what’s going to happen with Shawn Michaels, if he’s being asked to interfere during that match or not. I want to see what he would do. And we also have Jeff Hardy wrestling Edge on the card."

Click here ( http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/wrestling/blog/2009/01/qa_with_rey_mysterio.html) to read the full interview.

Kage
01-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Interesting, thanks.

DUKE NUKEM
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
thanks for the read Eel