PDA

View Full Version : Latest On Linda McMahon's Nomination To The Connecticut Board Of Education

JohnCenaFan28
01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
A few months ago, Betty Sternberg, the state's first female commissioner of education who is leaving the post of superintendent of the Greenwich schools, took a phone call from Linda McMahon, chief executive officer of Stamford-based World Wrestling Entertainment.

"She simply identified herself as 'a Greenwich resident,' " Sternberg recalled, adding that a secretary filled her in on McMahon's role at WWE. "I have an open-door policy if some member of the community wants to talk to me about something educational."

Sternberg said the two spoke about the No Child Left Behind Act and other topics.

Then two weeks ago, when Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell announced the nomination of McMahon, 60, to the state Board of Education, Sternberg connected the dots.

"(McMahon) did not tell me she was being considered or was considering it," Sternberg said. "Now, of course, I put it together. . . . She was doing her homework."

McMahon's appointment, which requires legislative approval, has raised eyebrows. Some pundits and residents wonder what Rell is doing, asking a woman who presides over a professional-wrestling empire built on melodrama, violence and sex to set education policy and standards for Connecticut's children?

"What's next? (Pro-wrestler) Stone Cold Steve Austin to be head of the state police?" Stamford resident Bill Cahill wrote The Advocate in a letter to the editor.

ring, kicking one wrestler in the groin and fighting with her daughter in front of cheering crowds.

"I'm at a loss," Norwalk Schools Superintendent Salvatore Corda said. "I wouldn't want to judge anybody without knowing them. If the governor made this appointment, I'm sure she had some rationale behind it. The governor's not a dumb person."

Stamford Superintendent Joshua Starr said McMahon is a blank slate to him.

"I have no knowledge of Ms. McMahon and whether she'd serve the governor's purposes," Starr said. "I don't know what experiences she has in education."

McMahon has known Rell since the latter was lieutenant governor and has contributed to her campaigns. Rell, in a statement, cited among McMahon's qualifications a bachelor's degree in education from East Carolina University and her election to Sacred Heart University's board of trustees in 2004.

McMahon, who faces a confirmation hearing Feb. 5, has declined interviews, but in an e-mailed statement said she always has had an interest and involvement in education.

A biography provided by WWE credited McMahon with creating its Get R.E.A.L. education and literacy programs, including the WrestleMania Reading Challenge, as well as leading an initiative encouraging young adults to vote.

"I recently met with the governor and expressed my willingness to help be an advocate for a stronger education system in our state and in our country," McMahon said. "I am pleased that this discussion led to this appointment."

Bruce Levine Mellion, head of the Norwalk teachers union, was not impressed.

"She's on the board of trustees at Sacred Heart, but I don't know what you have to do to get there," he said.

Funda Alp, director of communications for Sacred Heart, said McMahon has "shined" as a trustee but could not explain how members are nominated and elected.

Levine Mellion said, "She obviously has done some things. But I think it's fair to say in a state that is really ripe with major educational institutions of the highest order . . . there are people with impeccable credentials who certainly have a far richer background than hers."

But others, including Sternberg, said it is important to have a well-rounded state board whose members have diverse backgrounds.

"You need the perspective of people who haven't just been in education. Otherwise you become too parochial," Sternberg said, adding she has not viewed the clips of McMahon's activities in the WWE ring.

"Clearly, there are all sorts of forms of entertainment," Sternberg said. "She's developed a viable, vibrant business a segment of society is interested in."

A review of the biographies of the current 10 state Board of Education members, not including the two students who serve on the body, shows five had careers in education.

Sue Haynie, president of the Norwalk Parent Teacher Organization Council, said she admires the work Joel Klein has accomplished as chancellor of the New York City public schools despite his background in business and law. She hopes McMahon will prove as successful.

"You have to get voices outside of the system willing to 'break the mold' and confront ideologies that haven't been working," she said. "We need people who know how to get the job done. Whoever can do that is fine with me, I don't care what their background is."

-- Staff Writer Brian Lockhart can be reached at brian.lockhart@scni.com or 750-5352. Staff writer Wynne Parry contributed to this story. She can be reached at wynne.parry@scni.com or 964-2263.
Info Box

Source: StamfordAdvocate