PDA

View Full Version : Keith Richards Aboard Pirates 3

Stunner
06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
June 23, 2006 - Speculation of legendary Rolling Stone Keith Richards joining the cast of the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean sequels has been raging on for more than a year now. Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow character exploded after the first film and Depp admitted that Richards was an influence. When news of the sequels traveled down the pipeline, stories immediately leaked that Richards would be playing the wobbly Captain's papa.

Through the shooting of the sequels, through set visits and early talk with the cast and crew, nothing official was confirmed.

IGN FilmForce was able to take in a screening of the film earlier this week. Sadly, no Richards appeared.

So now, with the third film left, we took the question to director Gore Verbinski during our exclusive interview and he finally gave the answer we'd all been waiting for.

"Keith is definitely going to be in the third movie… It's a small part, but it's a great part."

So is he playing the father of Jack Sparrow? "No comment. To be interpreted."

A longtime Stones fan, I commented to Verbinski that he needs to make sure that they get Richards to do press for the next film. Interviewing Richards would definitely qualify as a personal career high. Verbinski seemed excited at the prospect as well. "Well, he won't be at this one. At the next one, yeah, that would be great!"

Now that we have a hint of what is in store for Pirates 3, will there be more Pirates to come? Johnny Depp confirmed with Newsweek that he was up for returning to the role in the future. Could we possibly see a prequel to the franchise where we'd learn more of Sparrow's backstory? Verbinski comments: "We're going to get a little bit of that in the third film, not so much in a flashback, but we're going to start developing his relationship with the East Indian Trading Company and what happened there..."

"Right now, it's about finishing the trilogy. After that, whatever happens happens. I think the benefit of doing the two films together is not just the benefit of managing your assets and amortizing certain costs, but it's also about, when are you going to get the team back together? Because everyone's so busy doing different things. So you can talk about a fourth movie, but right now it's a lot of talk. It's a nice sign that Johnny still wants to [do it]. That character fits so well. But, I think, for me you've got to look at the three-pack DVD and go, 'Yeah, that's a whole story.'"

Credit: IGN.com