PDA

View Full Version : Kinnear set to work around clock

OMEN
02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Joe Kinnear was preparing to work around the clock to land his remaining transfer targets for Newcastle United.

The 62-year-old was awaiting confirmation of Shay Given's proposed move to Manchester City as the Irishman underwent a medical for Mark Hughes' side, while Charles N'Zogbia's switch to Wigan was nearing completion.

N'Zogbia's sale would bring full-back Ryan Taylor and in excess of £6million to St James' Park, and help to fund two more signings, although one of them will not be Liverpool centre-half Sami Hyypia after the Magpies saw a move for him rebuffed.

Kinnear said: 'I have spent most of the last two days trying to get finance and players.

'I will start working on finances and players now right up until midnight and then tomorrow.

Fingers crossed we can get all four deals done.

'I tried for one centre-half, but got knocked back. Liverpool weren't prepared to let Hyypia out.

'I want to get somebody with experience because of the position we are in. We have a very young back four and I just want somebody who is a good organiser.'

Owner Mike Ashley attended his first game at St James' since Kevin Keegan's departure in September.

Kinnear later admitted he cannot wait for a difficult season to draw to a close as a tense relegation battle unfolds.

He said: 'I want to get 16, 17 (more) points, forget about this season and start looking for next season with a different attitude and a different team.

'This has been a struggle from day one since I walked in here. We have been torn to shreds with turmoil, injuries - we have had the lot.'

RTE