PDA

View Full Version : Detainee brother feels 'betrayed'

OMEN
02-05-2009, 09:56 AM
The brother of a British resident held at Guantanamo Bay has told the BBC he feels "betrayed" by Foreign Secretary David Miliband.

Dr Benhur Mohamed told Radio 5 Live he wrote to Mr Miliband asking him to help his 30-year-old brother Binyam, who claims he was tortured.

Dr Mohamed said it was "very cruel" of the minister not to reply.

Mr Miliband has defended his decision not to release details of the case on the grounds of national security.

"It is US information and it is for the US to decide when to publish their information," he added.
Binyam Mohamed, 30, has been held at Guantanamo Bay for four years after being accused by the US authorities of planning a terrorist attack.

He alleges he was tortured while being questioned in Pakistan, Morocco and Afghanistan, and that UK intelligence agencies were complicit in the practice.

On Wednesday, two British judges claimed that the US threatened to stop sharing intelligence with the UK if it made public details of Mr Mohamed's treatment.

But the foreign secretary said there had been "no threat" from the US and insisted that intelligence co-operation "depends on confidentiality".

'Begging'

Speaking to the BBC, Dr Mohamed said he believed Mr Miliband had failed to protect his brother's human rights.

"I did write to Mr Miliband, but I didn't get any answer from him," he said. "I was truly begging him to do something about Binyam, that was my plea, but I didn't hear anything.

"I feel very sad, I feel betrayed. It's very cruel from a person who is elected by the people to protect humanity and freedom and the rule of law."

Dr Mohamed said his brother was a "quiet" and "helpful" person.

"He is very supportive and very considerate. He is not the kind of person who would want to hurt anybody," he said.

The decision to block the release of information about his brother's detention was "unacceptable," Dr Mohamed added.
The government has insisted that the UK had never "condoned the use of torture".

And in a statement, the White House thanked the UK government "for its continued commitment to protect sensitive national security information".

Mr Miliband insisted he had not "rolled over" in the face of American pressure and was in fact protecting Britain's national interests.

"If I authorise the sharing of information with another country I don't want them [the judges] to jeopardise our intelligence service by releasing that information against our will," he told the BBC's Newsnight.

Binyam Mohamed's US military lawyer said the US authorities were withholding information about her client's alleged torture in order to save face.

Ltd Colonel Yvonne Bradley - who visited Binyam Mohammed at Guantanamo bay last week - said: "What the US is doing right now is not so much about national security or intelligence - it's about being embarrassed.

The Conservatives said the ruling raised "serious questions" and urged ministers to make a statement on the issue on Thursday.

BBC

JohnCenaFan28
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks for posting.