PDA

View Full Version : Capello hint over Beckham's spot

OMEN
02-05-2009, 11:51 PM
England coach Fabio Capello has given the clearest hint yet that David Beckham will be given the chance to equal Bobby Moore's 108-appearance record for the Three Lions in Spain next week.

Beckham is man of the moment again after confirming he wants to tear up his lucrative contract with LA Galaxy to join AC Milan on a permanent basis.

Although he has only played three matches for the Serie A giants since arriving on a short-term loan, the former England skipper has been a revelation.

Each start has brought more praise and now Milan executive director Adriano Galliani is attempting to broker a deal that would allow Beckham to remain at the San Siro, probably until the end of his amazing career.

The developments must be satisfying for Capello, who informed Beckham last autumn that he could not expect to be picked for England unless he was playing regularly, standing by his words by leaving the former Manchester United star out of the squad that overcame Germany in Berlin last November, after the MLS season had come to an end.

It was to overcome that problem Beckham came to Milan in the first place.

And, after watching the 34-year-old in action last week in a league victory over Genoa, Capello praised Beckham's form, and his decision to explore the option of remaining in Milan, words which seem certain to be followed by a place in the squad named by the England coach on Saturday evening for next week's friendly in Seville.

At the LMA President's Dinner in London on Thursday, Capello said: I'm very happy for David (Beckham) and for AC Milan.

'He is a media star and for this reason all the fans spoke about him in this way before he arrived; like a star not a player. But now he has played three games, and every game has been better.

'Milan want him to stay, and the fans are very happy for his style of play and the performances for the team.'

If Beckham gets the cap that would see him equal Moore's record for an England outfield player, he would have the chance to break it against Slovakia at Wembley on 28 March.

Meanwhile, Capello is slowly piecing his squad together to face the Euro 2008 winners, who the Italian regards as the world's number one just now.

He will be at West Ham on Sunday, where Wayne Rooney is expected to return for Manchester United after a recent hamstring injury, although he already knows Steven Gerrard will be missing with a similar problem picked up in Liverpool's FA Cup defeat at Everton last night.

He said: 'I think England will be strong in Spain, I am very confident in my team.

'Spain play fantastic football. They are very quick but I enjoy this kind of challenge.'

RTE