PDA

View Full Version : Robert Plant picks up five Grammys

OMEN
02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant won five awards at the Grammys yesterday, including album of the year for an acclaimed collaboration with bluegrass queen Alison Krauss.

The awards ceremony in Los Angeles got off to a spectacular start with U2 opening it with a full-throttle version of new song 'Get On Your Boots'.

Jennifer Hudson was presented with an award for best R&B album. The singer, who has only just returned to performing following the murder of her mother, brother and nephew last October, said: "I would like to thank my family in heaven and those who are here today." She was presented with the award by Whitney Houston.
Other winners on the night included Coldplay, who won three awards, including song of the year; 20-year-old rookie Adele, who won a pair including best new artist; and Welsh newcomer Duffy, who was honoured for pop vocal album.

Rapper Lil Wayne, who led the field with eight nominations, ended up with four prizes, including best rap album for 'Tha Carter III', the biggest-selling US release of 2008.

Plant and Krauss, 37, swept all five categories in which they were also nominated. They also won record of the year for 'Please Read The Letter', a reworking of a tune Plant wrote with former Led Zeppelin bandmate Jimmy Page, and prizes in the pop, folk/Americana, and country categories.

"I'm bewildered," Plant said upon winning album of the year, the event's final prize. "In the old days, we would have called this selling out, but I think it's a good way to spend a Sunday."

With 26 wins, Krauss now ties with French conductor Pierre Boulez as the third-most-honoured artist in the Grammys' 51-year-history. The only artists ahead of her are late classical conductor Sir Georg Solti with 31, and prolific producer/composer Quincy Jones with 27.

"I'm still amazed that I get to do this for a living, and that I get to work and continue to work in an inspired way," Krauss told reporters. "To think how spoiled I've really been is amazing, to be in a place ... where I am kept up at night by my work."

Coldplay won song of the year for 'Viva La Vida', the chart-topping hit that inspired a plagiarism lawsuit from virtuoso guitarist Joe Satriani, who claims that it rips off one of his tunes. Their haul also included best rock album for 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends'.

Adele took the best new artist award over Duffy, teen idols the Jonas Brothers, country act lady Antebellum and R&B singer Jazmine Sullivan. She won the female pop vocal prize for her tune 'Chasing Pavements'.

Radiohead picked up two gongs for their album 'In Rainbows'.

RTE

JohnCenaFan28
02-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks for this.

DUKE NUKEM
02-16-2009, 08:48 AM
thanks for the read Omen