PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea get permission to speak to Hiddink

OMEN
02-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Chelsea have moved a significant step closer to appointing Guus Hiddink as their new manager after being granted permission by his Russian employers to open talks with the Dutchman.

Hiddink has emerged as Chelsea's number one target to lead the team on a short-term basis, and if the former PSV Eindhoven manager accepts the job he will sign a contract until the end of the season.

Hiddink would remain as manager of the Russia national team.
Chelsea said in a statement: '(We) can confirm we have officially approached the Russian Football Union for permission to speak to Guus Hiddink to become the club's temporary coach until the end of the season while continuing to be in charge of the Russian national team.

'That permission has been granted and Chelsea would like to thank the RFU for their co-operation.'

Hiddink confirmed that he remains fully committed to helping Russia to qualify for the 2010 World Cup finals.

'I will not leave my job with the Russian national team. It's out of the question,' he said. 'When I took the Russia job it was a long-term project and I don't like to leave it unfinished.'

'I have already done that (combining two jobs) a couple of years ago when I was coaching Australia and PSV (Eindhoven), so I'm familiar with the situation and what it takes.'

Asked if he knew about Scolari's fate before the news was released on Monday, he said: 'Well, you have your contacts and I have mine.

'I did get a phone call from them (Chelsea management) and we discussed the situation but we haven't come to a final decision just yet. but the situation can change any day or even any hour.'

The Dutchman said before making any decisions he would discuss his future with Russian soccer chief Vitaly Mutko.

'I was planning to fly to Europe from Turkey at the end of the training camp (on Wednesday) but I can change that and I can go directly to Moscow to meet with Mutko,' he said.

'In any case, we'll meet in the next few days and will talk about the whole thing.'

RTE