PDA

View Full Version : Armed police raid wild west party

JohnCenaFan28
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
A Leicestershire couple who held a Wild West-themed party to renew their wedding vows were shocked when armed police burst in.

Police targeted Roy and Val Worthington as they left the church after a local resident reported seeing someone carrying a gun in the village.

Armed police, supported by a police helicopter overhead, raided the pub, The Moira Arms in Castle Donington, where they held the party.

Mrs Worthington, 47, said: "Because of the gun laws, I phoned them in November to tell them we were having this themed do. I didn't think any more about it.

"On the day about 80 people turned up in costume. Some were dressed as saloon girls, others Indians, Mexicans - all ready for a good party.

"We were walking from the church to the pub just before lunchtime when we noticed the helicopter. Then we saw the armed police by the pub.

"An officer approached me and said they had had a report of of someone walking around with a gun. But ours looked nothing like real guns. Most of them were blue and white and made from plastic, and some even had water pistols.

"To be fair, I suppose they have to respond. The officer said to me: 'I can see it's just a bit of fun. We'll leave you to it. Enjoy the party'."

Mr Worthington, 47, added: "I can't believe anyone who saw us walking around would have thought we were a danger to the public. I was carrying two cap-guns."

A spokesman for Leicestershire police defended the operation, insisting: "We have a duty to treat all reports of firearms as genuine."

-Nova