PDA

View Full Version : Shots linked to Traveller dispute

OMEN
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
A gun attack in west Belfast on Monday has been linked to a dispute within the Travelling community.

Bridget Mongan was in her home at Suffolk Road with her husband and 12-year-old granddaughter when gunmen fired several shots into the house.

Mrs Mongan said she has been attacked several times since the murder of her son-in-law John Mongan in 2008.

She is also related to several people who have been charged in connection with the killing.

Mr Mongan was beaten and stabbed to death in front of his heavily pregnant wife in a house at Fallswater Street in west Belfast last February.

Speaking on Tuesday, Mrs Mongan said she was in the kitchen when the shots were fired into her home at 1915 GMT on Monday.

"When I heard the shots, I thought they came in the bedroom window, where my husband was lying, and I kept shouting for him to answer me," she said.

"He answered me and my granddaughter, she was trembling and shouting 'granny get the police'."

A police spokesperson said a 20-year-old man and two teenagers aged 19 and 17 years had been arrested and were being questioned about the attack on Mrs Mongan's home.

Meanwhile on Tuesday, two men were arrested in relation to the murder of Mr Mongan.

The men, aged 42 and 45, were arrested in County Fermanagh on suspicion of aiding offenders.

Two men aged 32 and 36 and a 15-year-old boy have appeared in court charged with Mr Mongan's murder.

BBC

JohnCenaFan28
02-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the news.