PDA

View Full Version : Kinnear close to leaving hospital

lɐuǝɯo⊥ǝɥԀ
02-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Newcastle United manager Joe Kinnear is hoping to leave hospital on Sunday a week after undergoing triple heart bypass surgery.

The 62-year-old has a history of heart trouble and was taken ill before Newcastle's match at West Brom last Saturday, which the Magpies won 3-2.

"The doctors said it went well - I feel OK and I hope to be able to go home on Sunday," he told the club website.

Kinnear is expected to be off work for at least two months.

Newcastle host Everton on Sunday, with assistant Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood taking charge of team affairs in Kinnear's absence.

"I'll be ringing Chris to say good luck to him and the boys for Sunday's game," said Kinnear, who had a heart attack 10 years ago while in charge of Wimbledon and spent several years out of football.

"I'll be glued to the television cheering them on and hopefully the lads can build on the win they had against West Brom and pick up another three points."

"I know the fans will be right behind the team again on Sunday. They are the 12th man for us and they have a big role to play for us again as always at the weekend."

Earlier this month, Kinnear delayed signing a contract extension, revealing he had been offered an improved two-year deal to stay at St James' Park.

Kinnear took over as Magpies boss in September 2008, replacing Kevin Keegan.

He originally arrived as an interim manager and his current deal ends at the end of the season.

"I've been really touched by all the messages I've had from people over the last two weeks," he added.

"I'd like to thank everyone for that and I hope to see you all again soon."

BBC SPORT