PDA

View Full Version : Barman hid takings in oven

JohnCenaFan28
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
A Norfolk barman is in trouble after he cashed up for his boss and hid the £1,000 takings - in a hot oven.

Landlord Martin Talbot had asked Luke Woolston, 19, to cash up at his boozer then put the money in a "safe" place.

He was horrified when Luke texted to say he had put the full till drawer in the switched-on cooker, reports The Sun.

Mr Talbot, 36, said: "He's usually a sensible lad so I trusted him to cash up and conceal the takings away from prying eyes. I thought he was joking when he said he'd stuck the money in the oven.

"But when I got to the kitchen and smelt the burning, I realised he was being serious. I pulled out the plastic till drawer using oven gloves and stared at £1,000 of badly burnt notes. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry."

But he has now forgiven Luke and allowed him to keep his job at The Jolly Farmers in Ormesby.

He said: "I could have screamed and shouted at Luke but it's not really my style. He's worked here for two years and hasn't put a foot wrong until now."

The Bank of England has told him some notes may still be useable if their serial numbers are legible. His insurers also said he may get some cash back.

-Nova