PDA

View Full Version : Worcester to twin with Gaza City

JohnCenaFan28
02-27-2009, 04:24 AM
Worcester is on the verge of becoming the first community in the UK to be twinned with war-torn Gaza City.

Councillors in the picturesque cathedral city in the heart of rural England, famous as Elgar's birthplace, say it's a "humanitarian gesture".

The proposal was strongly supported at a passionate council meeting with just six out of 35 councillors opposing the move.

Cllr Alan Amos, who first proposed the twinning, said: "Like many I have watched the plight of the people of Gaza, seeing them get bombed and bombed by Israeli's with advanced military weapons.

"But rather than sit there thinking 'isn't that terrible?', I really wanted to do something about it. And it is a humanitarian gesture and not a political move."

The issue now rests with the twinning committee which has already fostered successful links with Kleve, in Germany, Le Vesinet, France and more recently Worcester, Massachusetts, US.

Residents have given a mixed response to the proposal.

Sandra Thompson, 62, said: "People in Worcester are very lucky to live in a very peaceful, conflict-free environment and it is easy to forget about those who aren't as fortunate."

But Nick Walton, 29, argued: "It is a nice idea, but I'm not sure what it is going to achieve.

"If we are going to be making cultural exchanges it is going to be interesting because I don't think you could find two places which are more different."

-Nova

DUKE NUKEM
02-27-2009, 08:56 AM
thanks for the post Eel