PDA

View Full Version : Jenna Morasca: The Murtz Reality

Black Widow
03-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Reality TV news, views and predictions from the world’s foremost expert on the subject

We last saw WWE diva Ashley Massaro bore us to death on Survivor: China. This time, the boot is on the other foot as a Survivor transitions to the ring.

Jenna Morasca recently signed with TNA Wrestling and made a Thursday-night debut on Spike TV's Impact. Clearly the transition to wrestling is a leap from living in the jungle. To get an insider’s perspective on Jenna becoming a wrestler, I managed to catch up with seven-time Women’s WWE Champion and current host of Stratusphere, Trish Stratus, who consented Jenna might have what it takes.

“When she became the sole Survivor, she outwitted, and outsmarted – these skills may have helped her be the winner in the reality world but the wrestling world is a different kind of beast,” she said.

Speaking of beasts, Stratus warns that Morasca might want to look out for one – Awesome Kong, the 6’1” TNA Women’s Champ. For now, I was lucky enough to get one of the first interviews with Jenna after she made her TNA debut.

First, some disclaimers: before doing what I do now, I actually started the Jenna Morasca online fan club (laugh it out while I hang my head), I was once a wrestling writer for The Sports Network, and over the last few years Morasca and I have attended numerous reality functions together and share an affinity for Monopoly:

TVGuide.ca: Jenna, Jenna, Jenna … Can you publically admit that we’re BFFs? I think it would do a lot for my credibility.
JM: No.

TVG: The last time we saw you, it was on Survivor All-Stars where you left to be with your mother. What have you been up to since then?
JM: I live full-time in NYC, the greatest city in the world. I promised my mom and dad after I took time off of college for Survivor, clearly the right choice at that time, that I would go back and finish. I'm currently on the President's List, I graduate with my bachelor’s in Psychology with a concentration in substance abuse in July and am applying to grad school. I am also still doing charity work ... Oh yeah and I am a wrestler now, too!

TVG: Glad you mentioned that. When I saw you and Heidi strip for peanut butter on Survivor Amazon, I never pictured you as a wrestler. When and how did you decide to enter the squared circle?
JM: I did a movie called End Game with Kurt Angle, the star of TNA. He mentioned I should talk with execs at TNA to see if there was a place for me. I am athletic, I can act and I like to have fun. He thought it would be a good fit, and it was!

TVG: In your Impact interview you, told Mick Foley you were a fan of Big Sexy Kevin Nash. Will you align with the Main Event Mafia?
JM: I can’t say a lot about my character, you will just have to wait and see! It’s a surprise …

TVG: Foley said you had some business to discuss. Can you elaborate on what you talked about?
JM: Well as people say, business is business. I have to keep what we talked about in the “boardroom” for now.

TVG: Will you actually be wrestling, and are you ready for that?
JM: When I step in the ring to wrestle I will be fully trained and prepared. I am not here to make a mockery out of the sport; I want to do it justice when I get in the ring. Don’t be scared for me.

TVG: TNA’s main competition is WWE, who recently announced more family-friendly programming. Does this allow TNA to capitalize and use more sex, and is this something you’re comfortable with?
JM: Um, I am not sure if I would be considered in the “family friendly” box on my first appearance on Survivor. Getting naked for a scoop of peanut butter pissed off some housewives.

TVG: Can we expect a chocolate and peanut butter match? Would any of the TNA divas be up for it?
JM: I am always up for wrestling hot chicks in my favorite two ingredients. Although I have had practice so the girls should watch out.

TVG: Do you think that there is any similarity between reality television and professional wrestling? Do you play a character on both?
JM: No, unlike many other reality shows Survivor is NOT scripted, I played me being me trying to win $1 million. With wrestling you have to be athletic AND be able to act. Sometimes Survivors aren't even athletic!

TVG: I can’t let the Survivor: Amazon winner go without asking about Tocantins. Who’s your pick to win?
JM: The season is OK. I consider myself an old-school Survivor and I am partial to the old seasons, when people didn't mug for the camera. But I have to root for granola guy because I hear he's from Pittsburgh …

[B]TVG: Will people know you as Jenna from Survivor, Jenna from Playboy, Jenna from TNA, Ethan from Survivor's Jenna or Murtz’s best friend?
JM: As long as they know me I don’t care what name they use. Jenna Queen of the World is my favourite or “Jenna Queen of Monopoly” just for you. Sorry I just LOVE to rub it in.

TVG: And, finally, do you think you could body slam me?
JM: Yes!!! And I will body slam you virtually in Monopoly again also!

Only time will tell if Jenna can survive professional wrestling (sorry, I had to).

sympatico.msn.ca

DUKE NUKEM
03-20-2009, 07:27 AM
thanks for the post Ryan