PDA

View Full Version : Pensioner turns shed into cinema

JohnCenaFan28
03-24-2009, 07:01 AM
A Birmingham pensioner has spent £10,000 on turning his garden shed into a 1940s cinema.

Don Parr, 81, wanted to pay tribute to the picture house he worked in as a projectionist as a youngster, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Now film fans come from far and wide to visit his back garden cinema and watch the classic movies he screens.

The 18ft by 9ft shed is decked out with 14 seats from a real cinema, and its 6ft 6ins by 3ft 3ins screen is complemented with hi-tech surround sound.

Mr Parr, who screened Doris Day's I'll See You In Our Dreams at the weekend, even offers refreshments to cinemagoers, with ice-creams available in summer.

He said: "It's a real blast from the past because it's decked out in a very nostalgic way.

"I think I did it because I just love the way films can affect people when they see them, it's just magical to watch sometimes.

"It's very rare I actually go to the real cinema because I have this one just a few metres away from my door."

His love of cinema started when he was just 16 back in 1943 when he was working as a projectionist at the Apollo in Erdington, Birmingham.

-Nova

DUKE NUKEM
03-25-2009, 07:49 AM
wow thanks for the post Eel