PDA

View Full Version : Players still believe - Riggott

lɐuǝɯo⊥ǝɥԀ
04-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Middlesbrough defender Chris Riggott has said the club's players believe in their Premier League survival despite being five points adrift of safety.

Riggott, 28, was relegated from the top flight with Derby in 2002 and says that experience, along with that of his team-mates, can keep them up.

"There is still hope, definitely," he told BBC Tees.

"From my point of view I'm certainly not giving up, I'm desperate to go out there and play."

The Derby-born centre-half has struggled with injury this season, while the club has struggled on the field.

And as one of the club's most experienced players, Riggott believes his presence will be vital to their chances of beating the drop.

"Experience plays a big part," he said.

"I'm sure if we did have a few more experienced players we wouldn't be in this situation, but people say when you have younger lads they've not been through it before so it helps as they don't know how it feels.

"It's been a nightmare for me and seeing the lads struggle has been difficult, but I'm OK now and I'm hoping to play my part in the last part of the season."

Riggott joined Middlesbrough from Derby County along with team-mate Malcolm Christie in a deal worth around £3m in January 2003.

BBC SPORT