PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Survives Crossbow Attack

John
04-11-2009, 12:38 PM
A cat has cheated death after being speared by an eight-inch crossbow bolt.

Vets helped Smokey survive the vicious attack after her owner realised she had been shot in Hartlepool, County Durham.

An X-ray image shows the tip of the bolt narrowly missed the 10-year-old's vital organs.

Veterinary charity PDSA released the image and reminded owners to remain vigilant following a number of similar attacks in the area.

Veterinary Surgeon Rosalind Turner said: "The sharp point had entered his body and it was just millimetres away from causing permanent damage to his kidneys.

"Smokey's injuries could have proved fatal and one of the worst cases I have seen. He is extremely lucky."

Ms Turner added: "If you find a wound, or if your pet is showing symptoms of pain, contact your vet as soon as you can."

Smokey's owner Carole Ashworth didn't realise the full extent of her pet's injuries immediately.

She said: "He seemed slightly out of sorts but I thought nothing of it. Later that day, I was brushing his fur when I noticed something sticking out of his tummy and that was when I realised he had been shot."

Smokey has since made a full physical recovery but is still feeling a little "withdrawn and depressed".

A spokesperson from Cleveland Police confirmed there had been other similar incidents in the Hartlepool area and appealed for members of the public with information to get in touch on 01642 326 326.

JohnCenaFan28
04-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm glad that the cat's alright.