PDA

View Full Version : La. lawmaker says free beer from barbers should be OK

JohnCenaFan28
04-11-2009, 06:51 PM
BATON ROUGE, La. — A Louisiana lawmaker wants to give barbershops the right to serve their customers free glasses of beer, wine and liquor.

Rep. Jerry Gisclair said he has constituents who run hair salons and told him the state Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control was unfairly cracking down on their practice of serving complimentary drinks to customers. Gisclair said his bill is an attempt to put into law specific rules so that all cosmetology businesses — barber shops, salons, day spas — can serve a limited amount of alcohol while still allowing children in their businesses.

"I'm not pushing or promoting alcohol," said Gisclair, D-Larose. "I'm just trying to put everybody on the same playing field."

Murphy Painter, head of the alcohol control office, was unavailable for comment on Tuesday.

Gisclair's bill would allow a cosmetology business to get a liquor license permit allowing distribution of alcohol at no cost. The bill includes strict limits, however, allowing one 12-ounce beer per customer, or two five-ounce glasses of wine or one drink with no more than two ounces of hard liquor.

The legislative session begins April 27.

DUKE NUKEM
04-11-2009, 10:37 PM
i like the sound of that :shifty: thanks Eel