PDA

View Full Version : Samia Smith 'drained' by Corrie misery

OMEN
04-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Coronation Street star Samia Smith has admitted that she feels "drained" following her recent depressing plotlines.

The actress's alter-ego Maria Connor gave birth to a lifeless baby boy after six months of pregnancy in early 2008. Later in the year, she faced further heartbreak when her husband Liam (Rob James-Collier) was killed.

Speaking to the Sunday Mirror, Smith revealed: "It's been a good 18 months of solid misery. It's quite draining really, having to think really depressing thoughts for 12 hours a day, all week.

"I can't muck about in the green room like I used to, I don't have the energy to. I've found that it's better to just sit in my dressing room and read a book and be quiet for a while. I've become a bit of a hermit."

Discussing the impact on her social life, she added: "I'm doing this all the time, and at weekends I'm really tired. Luckily I've got good friends, who understand. I have to try to smile a lot in my real life. I put lots of loud music on in the car on the way home and then pour myself a big glass of wine."

Smith has previously insisted that she was pleased to adopt a "grim" new look for the storylines.

DS