PDA

View Full Version : Barrymore brings 1930s glamour to NY

John
04-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Actress Drew Barrymore brought some Hollywood glamour to New York at the premiere of her new film, Grey Gardens.

In a stunning custom-made Alberto Ferretti dress, 1930s-style stole and net fascinator, Barrymore wowed fans who had gathered outside the Ziegfeld Theatre.

The movie is about two eccentrics - who happen to be relatives of former US First Lady Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy - who were discovered in the 1970's living in squalor in a mansion in East Hampton, New York.

Speaking on the red carpet, Barrymore, who plays Little Edie Bouvier Beale, said: "I love glamour. I love when women stepped it up a notch. And I think right now in the world fashion is a little safe.

"People get annihilated if people don't like what they're wearing. I don't care what people say, I want to have fun with fashion."

Asked about her character, Barrymore said: "I lived and breathed for three months as I cut off myself from the rest of the world to literally understand what really being isolated is like. And I just kept thinking, 'I just want to honour you, I just want to honour you, I just want to honour you."

Jessica Lange stars as her mother, Big Edie, in the film. The actress, who suffered a bad fall a few weeks ago, breaking her shoulder and collar bone, said she was not "completely healed", adding: "But I'm up and walking and moving a little."

She called the movie "an eccentric love story" and expressed her admiration for Big Edie, who as the film depicts, never stopped caring for her daughter.

Barrymore's ex, actor Justin Long, was also present at the screening. Rumours claim they are back together after breaking up last year. The pair are due to star as long-distance lovers in the romantic comedy Going the Distance.